Mission Bay Yacht Club
|Location||1215 El Carmel Court, San Diego, CA 92109|
The Mission Bay Yacht Club was chartered in 1927. Thomas O. Scripps, the club’s first commodore, and his brother-in-law, Austen T. Brown, had purchased a Flapper, a 12 foot catboat, built by Phillips and Stewart, they had seen tied to a float in front of the San Diego Yacht Club. They took the boat to Mission Bay and challenged other sailors to race. After some racing, they approached Alonzo de Jessop, Scripps’ uncle, who suggested they form a yacht club with provisions for a race committee chairman, creating Mission Bay Yacht Club. The new club raised $2,000 and built the first clubhouse on Crown Point where members obtained a fifty-year lease from the State of California. After World War II, the club secured a lease on three acres of land and three acres of water on El Carmel Point, the club’s present site.
The club is home of the following One-Design racing fleets: