Miranda, New Zealand
Miranda is a historical fort and small village in the Firth of Thames, New Zealand, which is now best known as the location of the Miranda Shorebird Centre, owned and operated by the Miranda Naturalists' Trust. The Miranda Hot Springs are another attraction for visitors.
|Coordinates: 37.185442°S 175.314336°E|
The Ngati Whanaunga village of Pukorokoro was renamed after the warship HMS Miranda, which brought 300 soldiers of the 70th Surrey Regiment to the area in 1863, together with 600 more men on other ships who were to build a fort supporting the British troops fighting in the Waikato region during the New Zealand Wars. Several redoubts were eventually built, one of them named after the ship leading the small troop flotilla. A local headland also carries the name, together ensuring that the name became fixed.
- The Story of the Miranda Naturalists' Trust 1973-2000 - Chambers, Stuart. MNT: Pokeno, New Zealand. (n.d).
- "Miranda Travel Guide". Jasons Travel Media.
- Hauraki Pains' New Zealand Herald - Cummings, Geoff.
- Whykickamoocow - curious New Zealand place names - McCloy, Nicola, Random House New Zealand, 2006
- "Te Kāhui Māngai directory". tkm.govt.nz. Te Puni Kōkiri.
- "Māori Maps". maorimaps.com. Te Potiki National Trust.