Ministry of Science and Technology (Thailand)
The Ministry of Science and Technology (Thai: กระทรวงวิทยาศาสตร์และเทคโนโลยี; RTGS: krasuang witthaya sat lae theknoloyi; Abrv: MOST), was a Thai government body responsible for the oversight of science and technology in Thailand.
|Formed||October 3, 2002|
|Dissolved||May 2, 2019|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Thailand|
|Annual budget||14,885.4 million baht (FY2019)|
The Ministry of Science and Technology was created by the Restructuring of Government Agencies Act of 2002, split off from the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment, which operated from 1992 until 2002.
On 24 October 2018, the Thai cabinet approved the creation of the Ministry of Higher Education Science Research and Innovation. The new ministry will merge the Ministry of Science and Technology, the Office of the Higher Education Commission (OHEC), the National Research Council of Thailand, and the Thailand Research Fund. The current Minister of Science and Technology, Suvit Maesincee, will head the new ministry. Its mission will be "...to develop high technology, enhancing the efficiency of the R&D and support Thailand 4.0 policy, as well as human resource development." The government has allotted a 97 billion baht budget to the new ministry in its first year, FY2019.
On 1 May 2019, the Royal Gazette published the Act of Ministries, Bureaus, and Departments Improvement (No. 19), 2562 BE, which is effective on 2 May 2019, resulting in the Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation establishment came up instead of the Ministry of Science and Technology that was dissolved.
- Office of the Minister
- Office of the Permanent Secretary
- Office of Atoms for Peace
- Department of Science Service (DSS)
Supervised public organizations
- National Science and Technology Development Agency
- National Institute of Metrology
- National Science Technology and Innovation Policy Office
- Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency
- National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand
- National Innovation Agency
- Thailand Institute of Nuclear Technology
- Synchrotron Light Research Institute
- Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute
- Thailand Center of Excellence for Life Sciences
- "ทรงลงพระปรมาภิไธยตั้งกระทรวงอุดม โครงสร้างใหม่มีผลบังคับใช้ 2 พ.ค. His Majesty the King signed the Ministry The new structure is effective May 2". Thai Rath. 1 May 2019. Retrieved 1 May 2019.
- "Overview of the Ministry of Science and Technology". Ministry of Science and Technology. Government of Thailand. Archived from the original on 16 February 2016. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-02-01. Retrieved 2012-02-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Theparat, Chatrudee (25 October 2018). "New hybrid ministry approved". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- พระราชบัญญัติปรับปรุงกระทรวง ทบวง กรม (ฉบับที่ ๑๙) พ.ศ. ๒๕๖๒
- Thailand's Budget in Brief Fiscal Year 2019. Bureau of the Budget. September 2018. p. 82. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- Suksamran, Nauvarat (12 May 2018). "It's not just the pretty packaging". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 12 May 2018.