Ministry of Family and Social Policy (Turkey)
The Ministry of Family and Social Policies (Turkish: Aile ve Sosyal Politikalar Bakanlığı), established in 2011, is a government ministry of the Republic of Turkey, responsible for family affairs and social services. The ministry is currently headed by Fatma Betül Sayan Kaya. She assumed office on 24 May 2016.
|Aile ve Sosyal Politikalar Bakanlığı|
Headquarters of Ministry of Family and Social Policy in Ankara, Turkey.
Before 2011, the portfolio of women and family affairs was executed by a state minister in the cabinet with the help of the Agency for Social Services and Children Protection (Turkish: Başbakanlık Sosyal Hizmetler ve Çocuk Esirgeme Kurumu), under the Prime Minister. The first head of the new established ministry was Fatma Şahin.
The ministry features following branches of service:
- Family and Public Services (Aile ve Toplum Hizmetleri)
- Children Services (Çocuk Hizmetleri)
- Disabled and Elderly Services (Engelli ve Yaşlı Hizmetleri)
- Status of Women (Kadının Statüsü)
- Social Aids (Sosyal Yardımlar)
- Services for Casualty Relatives and Veterans (Şehit Yakınları ve Gazi Hizmetleri)
Projects and programs
The ministry worked out a bill on the "Protection of Family and Prevention of Violence Against Women", which passed on March 8, 2012. After the passage of the bill, 800 men in Izmir received a stay away order for a term between three and six months upon application of their wives to the public prosecutor. Ninety women who had been evicted from their home or were at risk of getting killed by their partners found accommodation in women's shelters.
Following the enactment of the law on domestic violence, the ministry put an electronic device called a panic button into service in September 2012 for use by women in emergency situations of a threat. Additionally, a one-touch mobile phone application was in development for emergency police calls.
According to the records of the ministry, a total of 695 people, including 369 women, lost their lives between 2009 and 2012 as a result of domestic violence. The ministry reported in January 2013 that 6,764 women across the country received police protection. Adana Province ranked in first place with 1,605 women.
The ministry continued to be part of lawsuits on honor killings and child abuses. In a timespan of three months in 2012, the ministry got involved in 17 cases. In some cases, however, the court refused the ministry's request.
Disabled and Elderly Care
Vocational education for women
The ministry, together with the Ministry of National Education, launched a program on "vocational education for women". In one year, it was attended by 780 women from 28 provinces. The most popular class was "Child Care and Technology".
List of ministers
|Name (Born-Died)||Party||Term of Office||Cabinet|
|Minister of State (Responsible for Women and Family Affairs)|
|Güler İleri (1948–)||SHP||20 Nov 1991||22 Feb 1992||Demirel VII|
|Türkân Akyol (1928–2017)||4 Mar 1992||25 Jun 1993|
|25 Jun 1993||27 Jul 1994||Çiller I|
|Önay Alpago||27 Jul 1994||27 Mar 1995|
|Aysel Baykal (1939–2003)||CHP||27 Mar 1995||5 Oct 1995|
|Işılay Saygın (1947– )||DYP||5 Oct 1995||23 Feb 1996||Çiller II|
|28 Jun 1996||11 Jan 1999||Çiller III|
|Güldal Akşit (1960– )||AKP||29 Apr 2003||2 Jun 2005||Erdoğan I|
|Nimet Çubukçu (1965– )||2 Jun 2005||29 Aug 2007|
|29 Aug 2007||2 May 2009||Erdoğan II|
|Selma Aliye Kavaf (1962– )||2 May 2009||6 Jul 2011|
|Minister of Family and Social Policy|
|Fatma Şahin (1966– )||AKP||6 Jul 2011||25 Dec 2013||Erdoğan III|
|Ayşenur İslam (1958– )||25 Dec 2013||29 Aug 2014|
|29 Aug 2014||28 Aug 2015||Davutoğlu I|
|Ayşen Gürcan (1963– )||Indep||28 Aug 2015||17 Nov 2015||Davutoğlu II|
|Sema Ramazanoğlu (1959– )||AKP||24 Nov 2015||24 May 2016||Davutoğlu III|
|Fatma Betül Sayan Kaya (1981– )||24 May 2016||incumbent||Yıldırım I|
- "'Fatma Bacı' kabinenin tek kadın bakanı oldu". Radikal (in Turkish). 2011-07-06. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "Ailenin Korunması ve Kadına Karşı Şiddetin Önlenmesine Dair Kanun". T.C. Resmi Gazete (in Turkish). 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "Bakanlığın müdahilik talebine ret". Habertürk (in Turkish). 2012-02-15. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- İnmez, Mehmet (2012-05-15). "Bilanço ağır!". Habertürk (in Turkish). Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- Yazdıç, Esra (2012-09-11). "Polisten kadınlara özel uygulama!". Habertürk (in Turkish). Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "369 kadın hayatını kaybetti". Habertürk (in Turkish). 2012-12-04. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "6764 kadına polis koruması verildi". Habertürk (in Turkish). 2013-01-12. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "Bakanlık kadın davalarına müdahil oluyor". Habertürk (in Turkish). 2012-07-30. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- Serim, Esra (2014-01-21). "Aile Bakanlığı'ndan şiddet kılavuzu". Habertürk (in Turkish). Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "Alzheimerlılar özel ellerde". Habertürk (in Turkish). 2012-09-10. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- Serim, Esra (2014-01-28). "Aile Bakanlığı'ndan eğitim desteği". Habertürk (in Turkish). Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "Kadın bakanlardan duygusal devir-teslim". Habertürk (in Turkish). 2013-12-26. Retrieved 2014-01-31.