Minister for Water Resources
The Minister for Water Resources is an Australian Government Cabinet position held by The Honourable David Littleproud since 20 December 2017. Scott Morrison announced in May 2019 that the Agriculture and Water Resources portfolios would be separated in the Cabinet reshuffle. Bridget McKenzie was appointed as Minister of Agriculture, and David Littleproud was appointed as Minister for Water Resources on May 2019, by the Governor-General.
|Minister for Water Resources|
|Department of Agriculture and Water Resources|
|Appointer||Governor-General on behalf of the Queen of Australia on the recommendation of the Prime Minister of Australia|
|Inaugural holder||Malcolm Turnbull (as Minister for Environment and Water Resources)|
|Formation||30 January 2007|
The minister is assisted by the Assistant Minister of Agriculture and Water Resources, Senator Richard Colbeck since August 2018. Anne Ruston previously served in the position from 21 September 2015 to 28 August 2018.
On 26 May 2019 Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced that Bridget McKenzie would replace Littleproud as Minister for Agriculture when Morrison's new Cabinet is sworn in, and the 46th Parliament of Australia begins its term; Littleproud remains as Minister for Water Resources.
Mission and outcomes
Information about the department's functions and/or government funding allocation could be found in the Administrative Arrangements Orders, the annual Portfolio Budget Statements, in the department's annual reports and on the department's website.
- Environment protection and conservation of biodiversity
- Air Quality
- National fuel quality standards
- Land contamination
- Administration of the Australian Antarctic Territory and the Territory of Heard Island and McDonald Islands
- Natural, built and movable cultural heritage
- Greenhouse policy coordination
- Environmental research
- Water policy and resources
In the Howard Government, the portfolio of Water Resources was assigned to the Environment Department; this was an Australian Public Service department, staffed by officials who were responsible to the Minister for the Environment and Water Resources, Malcolm Turnbull. The secretary of the department was David Borthwick.
- "Scott Morrison unveils new ministry as Coalition prepares for majority government". www.msn.com. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- CA 9160: Department of the Environment and Water Resources, Central Office, National Archives of Australia, retrieved 19 December 2013