Minerva Theatre, Sydney
The Minerva Theatre was a theatre located in Orwell Street in Kings Cross, Sydney. Originally a live venue, it was converted to the Metro Cinema in 1950, before returning to live shows in 1969. It ceased operating as a theatre in 1979.
The Minerva Theatre building in 2019
The building was built in the 1930s and opened in May 1939 with a production of Idiot's Delight. In May 1941 it was leased by Whitehall Theatrical Productions, an independent production company. They remained in the venue for almost a decade, staging their last show there in April 1950.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer purchased the building in 1950 and converted to a movie theatre, renaming it the Metro Cinema. Harry M. Miller returned the venue to live theatre in 1969 with a production of the musical Hair.
In 1979 the building was converted to a market. It subsequently became a studio for the Kennedy Miller film production company.
It was originally intended to be one of a pair of theatres, but the companion building was never built.
- "Minerva Theatre (Sydney)". Sydney Theatre History. Australian Catholic University. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- Dimond, Jill & Kirkpatrick, Peter (2000). Literary Sydney: A Walking Guide. University of Queensland Press. p. 83. ISBN 0-7022-3150-9.
- Milne, Geoffrey (2004). Theatre Australia (Un)limited: Australian Theatre Since the 1950s. Rodopi. pp. 79, 180. ISBN 90-420-0930-6.