|Local authority||City of York Council|
|Department for Education URN||142648 Tables|
|Head of School||Gemma Greenhalgh|
|Age||11 to 16|
|Former name||Nunthorpe Grammar School|
Millthorpe School is the successor to Nunthorpe Grammar School, one of two single sex male state grammar schools in the City of York, which opened in 1920, and Mill Mount Grammar School for girls, whose pupils moved to the Nunthorpe site.
Nunthorpe Grammar School
Nunthorpe Grammar School was centred on Nunthorpe Court, a large Victorian house built in 1856. The house was adapted to meet its new role as a school in 1920.
At first the school was entirely contained within the mansion. Now the house is used purely for offices and staff rooms, the Headteacher’s office being situated in what was the main bedroom. Sports fields were created by the draining of an ornamental lake. The school was added to at various stages as it grew in popularity. In 1927 a new wing was opened, containing four new classrooms, an art room, two storerooms and a cloakroom. The stableboys’ sleeping quarters from the old house were converted into a new school library. The stables themselves were converted into two laboratories. Even the stable yard was pressed into service. It was roofed over and became the assembly hall, and later still the school’s dining room as it still is to this day. The current hall and the completion of the quadrangle classrooms came in 1937. In 1959 the gym was added as well as what was for the next 25 years to be known as the "new block", the building containing laboratories and classrooms. A Sixth Form block was added in 1974, although this block is now used for science laboratories and languages classrooms. In 1984 a new sports hall was built.
Mill Mount Grammar School for Girls
This was a girls' grammar school on Mill Mount Lane, also known as Mill Mount Girls' Grammar School. Until 1974 it was administered by the City of York Education Committee, then North Yorkshire County Council until 1985. In 1965 there was a plan to turn York comprehensive by 1970, with Nunthorpe and Mill Mount joining to become a sixth form college, and the two other grammar schools becoming a comprehensive. In 1985, this school site became All Saints RC School.
Millthorpe Comprehensive School opened in 1985 when the city changed over to a comprehensive system. After local government reform in 1996 authority for the school was transferred to City of York Council.
Specialist School Programme
Millthorpe School was formerly a Language College which was part of the Specialist schools programme. This meant that it received extra funding for language teaching. It no longer holds this title as the programme was abolished.
Millthorpe School converted to academy status in April 2016. the school now forms part of the South Bank Multi-Academy Trust, which also includes Knavesmire Primary School and Scarcroft Primary School. However Millthorpe School continues to coordinate with City of York Council for admissions.
Notable former pupils
Nunthorpe Grammar School for Boys
These names are according to year(s) spent at the school, starting with the earliest. Undated alumni are at the end in alphabetic order.
- Charles Whiting [1938–45], author who also published under the pseudonyms Leo Kessler, Duncan Harding and John Kerrigan.
- David Reeder [1942–49], historian of education and town planning.
- Vincent Cable [1954–62, and Head Boy 1962-3], Liberal Democrat MP from 1997 until 2015 for Twickenham and Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills (2010-2015)
- Steve McClaren [1972–77], former England football manager.
- Mark Addy [1975–80], actor
- Marco Gabbiadini [1979–84], ex-professional footballer.
- Liam D'Arcy Brown, travel-writer
- Nick Miller, BBC weather forecaster