Military budget of Turkey
Military budget of Turkey, Turkey’s defense spending stood at 29.4 billion Turkish Liras, or $13.2 billion, old Turkish Defense Minister İsmet Yılmaz said 8 November 2014. He was responding to a question from an opposition party leader, the Nationalist Movement Party’s Ankara deputy Özcan Yeniçeri, who asked how much Turkey had spent on its defense budget since 2002. Yılmaz said Turkey spent about 1.71 percent of its Gross Domestic Product, or the GDP on defense in 2014. Turkey used to spend 3.5 percent of its GDP on defense in 2002.
According to the minister, Turkey’s military expenditure per capita in 2013 was 474 Turkish Liras or $213. He also said Turkey’s defense exports stood at $1.4 billion in 2014, while its imports amounted to $1.3 billion. The 2014 defense budget accounted for 3.7 percent of the overall state budget. About half of the country’s defense budget went to personnel spending such as salaries, benefits and pension payments to retired Turkish Army personnel.
Comparison with other countries
|Country/Region||Official budget (latest)||SIPRI (2012)||IHS Inc. (2013)||IISS (2013)|
|United States||$575 billion||$682.5 billion||$582.4 billion||$600.4 billion|
|United Kingdom||$56.9 billion||$60.8 billion||$58.9 billion||$57 billion|
|Japan||$47 billion||$59.3 billion||$56.8 billion||$51 billion|
|People's Republic of China (PRC)||$131 billion||$166.1 billion||$139.2 billion||$112.2 billion|
|Russian Federation||$69.3 billion||$90.7 billion||$68.9 billion||$68.2 billion|
- "SIPRI Military Expenditure Database". Stockholm International Peace Research Institute. Archived from the original on 8 February 2014. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "Global Defence Budgets Overall to Rise for First Time in Five Years - Four of the five fastest growing defence markets in 2013 were in the Middle East; Russia grabs third place from Japan and the UK". IHS inc. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- Marcus, Johnathan. "Military spending: Balance tipping towards China". BBC. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- Porter, Henry. "What budget for defence? First let's work out Britain's place in the world". Guardian. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "Plan for Defense Programs and Budget of Japan Ministry of Defense Overview of FY2014 Budget" (PDF). Japanese Ministry of Defense. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- Branigan, Tania. "China targets 7.5% growth and declares war on pollution". Guardian. Retrieved 5 March 2014.