Michael Francis Troy (October 3, 1940 – August 3, 2019) was an American competitive swimmer, a two-time Olympic champion, and world record-holder in three events.
Troy in 1960
|Full name||Michael Francis Troy|
|National team||United States|
|Born||October 3, 1940|
Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.
|Died||August 3, 2019 78) (aged|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg)|
|Club||Indianapolis Athletic Club|
|College team||Indiana University|
The peak of Troy's swimming career occurred between 1959 and 1960 while he was coached by Doc Counsilman of the Indiana Hoosiers swimming and diving team at Indiana University. At the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome, he won his first gold medal as a member of the winning U.S. team in the men's 4×200-meter freestyle relay. Individually, he won a second gold with his first-place finish in the men's 200-meter butterfly—his signature event.
Troy broke the world record in the 200-meter butterfly six consecutive times before it was taken over by fellow American swimmer Carl Robie in 1961. In 1971 he was inducted into the International Swimming Hall of Fame.
After college, Troy became a U.S. naval officer and completed Basic Underwater Demolition/SEALs (BUD/S) training. He was recommended for the Silver Star award for his combat service during the Vietnam War.
After leaving military service Troy settled in the San Diego area where he worked as a real estate agent and swimming coach. His trainees included Mike Stamm. At the time of his death in 2019 Troy was co-owner of the Gold Medal Swim School in Chandler, Arizona, with two time Olympic coach Mike Walker. Troy served as Chairman of the International Section of the Olympic Committee and Vice President of the American Swimming Coaches Association. Troy was the National Director of the USA Paralympic Swimming Team. He accompanied the team to Athens, Greece in September 2004 where the U.S. Paralympic team won numerous medals.
Troy died on August 3, 2019 in Arizona at the age of 78.
- List of members of the International Swimming Hall of Fame
- List of Indiana University (Bloomington) people
- List of Olympic medalists in swimming (men)
- World record progression 200 metres butterfly
- World record progression 4 × 100 metres medley relay
- World record progression 4 × 200 metres freestyle relay
- Mike Troy. Sports-Reference.com
- MIKE TROY (USA) 1971 Honor Swimmer. International Swimming Hall of Fame
- "Michael (Mike) Francis Troy," Troyhistory.com. Retrieved February 19, 2015.
- Gold Medal Swim School. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- Gold Medal Swim School Owners Bio. Retrieved July 21, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mike Troy.|
| Men's 200-meter butterfly
world record-holder (long course)
July 11, 1959 – August 19, 1961