Mike Hill (film editor)
Michael J. Hill, ACE (born 1952) is an American film editor. He and his editing partner Dan Hanley have had a longstanding, notable collaboration with director Ron Howard, having cut all of Howard's films since Night Shift (1982). They won an Academy Award for the film Apollo 13 (1995), and the BAFTA Award for the film Rush (2013). Hill is a member of the American Cinema Editors (ACE).
Michael J. Hill
1952 (age 66–67)
Life and career
Hill was born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska, and received a criminal justice degree at the University of Nebraska at Omaha in 1972. His first job was as a guard at Chino prison in California. He then entered the film editing profession, and worked on several television programs and on two feature films before starting his association with Hanley and Howard on Night Shift (1982). After many years in California, Hill moved back to Nebraska in the late 1980s. In addition to his continuing work on major studio films with Howard, Hill has edited independent films produced in Nebraska such as Full Ride (2001).
Apollo 13 was listed as the 48st best-edited film of all time in a 2012 survey of members of the Motion Picture Editors Guild. In addition to Apollo 13, Hanley and Hill have been nominated for Academy Awards for Howard's A Beautiful Mind (2001), Cinderella Man (2005), and Frost/Nixon (2008). Hanley and Hill's longstanding partnership, which includes 18 films through the 2009 Angels and Demons, may be unique among major film editors. An important aspect of the partnership is that the two editors have developed a sufficiently uniform style that they can simply split up the scenes of each film without specialization.
Hill has been elected as a member of the American Cinema Editors.
Films directed by Ron Howard
- Lewis, Kevin (2005). "Hanley and Hill: Howard's Editing Tag-Team", Editors' Guild Magazine Vol. 27, No. 3. Webpage archived at WebCite from this original URL on 2008-03-04,
- Flott, Anthony (1997). "Four Graduates Receive UNO Alumni Citations" Archived 2009-01-23 at WebCite, University of Nebraska at Omaha press release May 11, 1997. Online version retrieved April 10, 2008.
- Hoeger, Mark (September 26, 2001). "Mike Hill Tackles Full Ride". Oberon Entertainment, Inc. Archived from the original on October 3, 2011. Retrieved April 10, 2008. Press release.
- "The 75 Best Edited Films". Editors Guild Magazine. 1 (3). May 2012. Archived from the original on 2015-03-17.
- "American Cinema Editors > Members", webpage archived by WebCite from this original URL on 2008-03-04.