Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League
|Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League|
|Established||March 13, 2014|
|Members||6 (7 in 2020)|
|Headquarters||Cedar Rapids, Iowa|
|Commissioner||Chuck Yrigoyen (since 2016)|
The MCVL was founded in March 2014 by an amicable split of the Continental Volleyball Conference (CVC), which itself had only been created in 2011. The CVC's six Midwestern schools, which had previously formed a CVC division, wished to create a more geographically compact league. The two groups agreed that the CVC's eastern teams would retain the CVC name and branding. Since the CVC retained six members, that group also retained its automatic berth in the Division III national championship. It was also agreed that two Midwestern schools that were adding the sport for 2014–15 (2015 season) and had been announced as incoming CVC members, Benedictine University and Loras College, would instead join the new Midwestern league. The next month, the new league was unveiled as the MCVL.
In September 2014, two Illinois schools that were adding volleyball in the 2015–16 school year (2016 season), Greenville College and North Central College, were accepted as the league's 9th and 10th members. Three months later, four additional schools—Adrian College, Marian University of Wisconsin, Olivet College, and Wittenberg University—were announced as new members for 2015–16.
In January 2017, the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NACC), the all-sports home of five MCVL members—charter members Benedictine, Dominican University of Illinois, Lakeland College of Wisconsin and the Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE), plus 2015 arrival Marian—announced that it would begin sponsoring men's volleyball in the 2018 season. This followed previous announcements that NACC members Aurora University and Concordia University Wisconsin would launch varsity men's volleyball in that season, giving the NACC seven men's volleyball schools and an automatic berth in the Division III national championship. As a result, the MCVL initially dropped to nine members for the 2018 season. Before that season, the MCVL returned to 10 members with the addition of Augustana College of Illinois, which was set to begin sponsoring varsity men's volleyball in the 2018 season. Augustana had intended to begin varsity play as an independent with a view toward eventually gaining MCVL membership, but was immediately accepted into the league.
After the 2018 season, the MCVL lost one member and gained another. Wittenberg left to become a single-sport affiliate in the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference, while Trine University resurrected a varsity program that last played in 2002 and joined the MCVL.
The MCVL lost half of its 2019 membership when the College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin (CCIW) added men's volleyball for the 2020 season. Augustana, Carthage, Greenville, Loras, and North Central, along with new programs at North Park and Millikin, will start CCIW conference play in 2020. Greenville and Loras were accepted into the CCIW as associate members. This temporarily left the MCVL in danger of eventually losing its automatic bid to the NCAA championship, but the league restored its membership to the six needed to maintain its automatic bid by adding the University of Mount Union, which had spent its inaugural men's volleyball season of 2019 as an independent, for the 2020 season.
The league was founded with eight members. Six joined for the 2016 season, five left after the 2017 season, and one joined for the 2018 season. The 2019 season saw the conference membership remain at 10, with one departing member replaced by a new school. After the 2019 season five teams left and Mount Union was added, dropping the league to six members for the 2020 season. The league will grow to seven members in 2021 when Wabash College begins its men's volleyball program. All current, former, and future conference members are private institutions.
Note that because NCAA men's volleyball is a spring sport, the year of joining is the calendar year before the first year of competition.
|Adrian College||Adrian, Michigan||Bulldogs||1859||United Methodist Church||1,654||2015||MIAA|
|Fontbonne University||St. Louis, Missouri||Griffins||1923||Catholic – Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet||2,532||2014||SLIAC|
|Mount St. Joseph University||Delhi Township, Ohio||Lions||1920||Catholic – Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati||2,225||2014||HCAC|
|University of Mount Union||Alliance, Ohio||Purple Raiders||1846||Non-sectarian||2,309||2019||OAC|
|Olivet College||Olivet, Michigan||Comets||1844||United Church of Christ and National Association of Congregational Christian Churches||1,145||2015||MIAA|
|Trine University||Angola, Indiana||Thunder||1884||Non-sectarian||2,000||2018||MIAA|
|Wabash College||Crawfordsville, Indiana||Little Giants||1884||Non-sectarian||882||2020||NCAC|
As noted previously, the year of joining is the calendar year before the first season of competition.
- "CVC Announces Split As Teams Continue To Join" (Press release). Eastern Mennonite Royals. March 13, 2014. Retrieved September 11, 2014.
- "Greenville College to Add Men's Volleyball as 15th Intercollegiate Sport" (Press release). Greenville College Athletics. August 27, 2014. Retrieved September 11, 2014.
- "Raiders' New Conference Has A Name" (Press release). MSOE Athletics. April 4, 2014. Retrieved September 11, 2014.
- "North Central & Greenville Set to Join MCVL in 2016 Season" (Press release). Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League. September 23, 2014. Retrieved September 28, 2014.
- "MCVL Announces Expansion to 14 Teams for 2016 Season" (Press release). Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League. December 10, 2014. Retrieved December 15, 2014.
- "NACC To Add Men's Volleyball In 2018" (Press release). Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference. January 10, 2017. Retrieved June 18, 2017.
- "Men's Volleyball and Women's Bowling Join the Varsity Sports Lineup for 2017–18" (Press release). Augustana College Athletics. April 18, 2016. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- "Carthage Picked as MCVL Favorite" (Press release). Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League. December 11, 2017. Retrieved December 12, 2017. Although the MCVL made no official announcement that Augustana would join, it included that school in its 2018 schedule.
- "Hiram, Thiel and Wittenberg to Join AMCC in Men's Volleyball" (Press release). Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference. May 31, 2017. Retrieved February 17, 2018.
- "Trine Men's Volleyball Team to Compete in MCVL" (Press release). Trine Thunder. October 4, 2017. Retrieved February 17, 2018.
- "Men's Volleyball: Mount Union To Join MCVL" (Press release). Mount Union Purple Raiders. July 11, 2019. Retrieved August 28, 2019.
- "MCVL Announces Divisions for 2017 Season" (Press release). Midwest Collegiate Volleyball League. December 15, 2016. Retrieved January 9, 2017.