Michel de Carvalho
Michel Ray de Carvalho (born 21 July 1944) is a British financier, former Olympic skier and luger, and former child actor in films such as The Brave One, The Tin Star, and Lawrence of Arabia (under the name Michel Ray). Born in Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, his father was a Brazilian diplomat and his mother was British.
De Carvalho appeared in several films as a child and teenager, including the 1962 epic film Lawrence of Arabia (where he played the character Farraj), The Divided Heart in 1954 and The Brave One in 1956 where he plays a young Mexican boy who tries to rescue his pet bull from being killed by a champion bullfighter.
He quit acting to attend Harvard University, which he later described as "just about the most stupid decision" he ever made. Nevertheless, de Carvalho graduated from Harvard and then earned an MBA degree from the same university.
De Carvalho is currently the vice-chairman of investment banking at Citigroup, where he chairs Citi Private Bank in the EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa) region, a post to which he was appointed in November 2009.
On 23 April 2015 he became the Executive Director at Heineken Holding N.V., but remains active as board member or director of several other business ventures.
He married Heineken heiress Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken in 1983. In 2002 Charlene inherited a fortune of GB£3 billion ($4.8bn) upon the death of her father, Freddy Heineken. They have five children, three girls, including twins, and two boys.
- Hill, Emily (11 November 2012). "The Lawrence of Arabia child star who quit movies for Harvard... Michel de Carvalho is now king of the Heineken beer empire". The Daily Mail. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- Sellers, Patricia (3 December 2014). "Heineken's Charlene de Carvalho: A self-made heiress". Fortune Magazine (22 December 2014). Time Inc. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
While women in the Netherlands generally attach their maiden name to their married name, Charlene, as a London resident, had dropped “Heineken” from her surname.
- Sellers, Patricia (17 December 2014). "The mysterious banker behind the world's best-known beer". Fortune Magazine (22 December 2014). Time Inc. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- "Michel Ray-Actor". www.imdb.com. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- Rossingh, Danielle (26 February 2003). "Heineken heiress remains a mystery". BBC News. British Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
Mrs de Carvalho inherited a £3bn ($4.8bn) fortune, making her the richest woman in the Netherlands, overtaking Queen Beatrix.
- Sellers, Patricia. "The mysterious banker behind the world's best-known beer". Fortune. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- Goddard, Emily (2 May 2013). "Triple Olympian named as British Skeleton President with champion as vice-president". insidethegames.biz. Retrieved 30 December 2014.
- "Citi names private bank chairman for EMEA". Reuters. 25 November 2009. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- "Stocks (broken link)". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- Holmstrom, John. The Moving Picture Boy: An International Encyclopaedia from 1895 to 1995, Norwich, Michael Russell, 1996, p. 248.