|Alma mater||University of Bonn|
|Known for||matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization|
|Institutions||Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main|
University of Münster
|Doctoral advisor||Franz Hillenkamp|
Michael Karas studied Chemistry at the University of Bonn, where he obtained a PhD in the field of physical chemistry in 1982. From 1983 to 1986, he was part of the Hillenkamp research group in the Institut für Biophysik at Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main. In 1987, he followed Hillenkamp at Münster and both formed a group in the Faculty of Medicine at University of Münster. He returned to Frankfurt in 1995 as a full professor for Instrumental Analytical Chemistry.
- 1997: Recipient of the John B. Fenn Award for a Distinguished Contribution in Mass Spectrometry
- 2003: Karl Heinz Beckurts Award, Germany’s most important award for outstanding promotion of the partnership between science and industry
- 2006: Thomson Medal awarded by the International Mass Spectrometry Foundation
- Short biography on Frankfurt University web site
- "Professoren Hillenkamp (Münster) und Karas (Frankfurt) erhalten Karl Heinz-Beckurts-Preis 2003". Bioanalytik revolutioniert (in German). Presse- und Informationsstelle. Archived from the original on 4 March 2012. Retrieved 27 June 2012.