Michael Gwynn (30 November 1916 – 29 January 1976) was an English actor. He attended Mayfield College near Mayfield, Sussex. During the Second World War he served in East Africa as a major and was adjutant to the 2nd (Nyasaland) Battalion of the King's African Rifles.
|Died||29 January 1976 59) (aged|
Gwynn is perhaps best remembered for his role in the first episode of the BBC comedy Fawlty Towers "A Touch of Class" (1975) as the conman "Lord" Melbury who eventually humiliates Basil Fawlty. For Hammer Films, he performed in several productions including the war film The Camp on Blood Island (1958), and Never Take Sweets from a Stranger (1960), a rare drama film for the studio; the actor also appeared in one of their very best horror movies, The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958), in which he played a tragic experimental subject who turns into a cannibalistic killer, and the less well-regarded Scars of Dracula (1970) in the role of a priest determined to battle Count Dracula. He had a lead role in 1960's Village of the Damned, produced and distributed by MGM-British Studios.
Gwynn also appeared on several adaptations of plays on the Caedmon Records label. Among them were Cyrano de Bergerac, in which he played Le Bret, and Julius Caesar, in which he played Casca. Both productions starred Ralph Richardson in the title roles. Gwynn also appeared in a BBC serialised adaptation of Great Expectations as Joe Gargery in 1959. Gwynn died on 29 January 1976 in London from a heart attack, aged 59.
- 1954: The Runaway Bus - 1st Transport Officer
- 1957: The Secret Place - Steve Waring
- 1958: Dunkirk - Commander - Sheerness
- 1958: The Camp on Blood Island - Tom Shields
- 1958: The Revenge of Frankenstein - Karl
- 1958: The Doctor's Dilemma - Dr. Blenkinsop
- 1960: Never Take Sweets from a Stranger - Prosecutor
- 1960: Village of the Damned - Alan Bernard
- 1961: Question 7 - Friedrich Gottfried - Pastor
- 1961: What a Carve Up! - Malcolm Broughton
- 1961: Barabbas - Lazarus
- 1962: Some People - Vicar
- 1963: Cleopatra - Cimber
- 1963: Jason and the Argonauts - Hermes
- 1964: The Fall of the Roman Empire - Cornelius
- 1965: The Saint - Martin Jeffroll
- 1965: Catch Us If You Can - Hardingford
- 1966: The Deadly Bees - Dr. George Lang
- 1967: The Crowning Gift - Jesus Christ
- 1969: The Virgin Soldiers - Lt. Col. Bromley-Pickering
- 1970: Scars of Dracula - Priest
- 1976: Spy Story - Dawlish (final film role)
- "Michael Gwynn".
- "A Touch of Class, Series 1, Fawlty Towers - BBC Two". BBC.
- "Michael Gwynn". www.aveleyman.com.
- Staff, Variety (1 January 1958). "The Revenge of Frankenstein".
- "Scars Of Dracula - 1970". www.britishhorrorfilms.co.uk.
- "'Village of the Damned' Deserves to Be Recognized as a True Classic (Review)". Addicted to Horror Movies. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "Various - Cyrano De Bergerac". Discogs.
- "Various - Julius Caesar". Discogs.
- "Great Expectations Part 5 (1959)".
- Helfer, R.; Loney, G. (12 November 2012). "Peter Brook: Oxford to Orghast". Routledge – via Google Books.