Michael E. Taylor
Michael Eugene Taylor (born 1946) is an American mathematician, working in partial differential equations.
Taylor obtained his bachelor's degree from Princeton University in 1967, and completed his Ph.D. under the supervision of Heinz Otto Cordes at the University of California, Berkeley (Hypoelliptic Differential Equations). He held a professorship at the State University of New York at Stony Brook and is now the William R. Kenan Professor of Mathematics at the University of North Carolina.
In 1986 he was awarded the Lester Randolph Ford Award.
He is a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. In 1990 he was invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Kyoto (Microlocal analysis in spectral and scattering theory and index theory). He is a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
He is married to mathematician Jane M. Hawkins.
- Partial Differential Equations, 3 volumes, Springer Verlag 1996, 2nd. ed. 2011
- Measure theory and integration, Graduate Studies in Mathematics, AMS 2006
- Noncommutative harmonic analysis, Mathematical Surveys and Monographs, Nr. 22, AMS 1986
- Introduction to differential equations, Undergraduate Texts Series, AMS 2011
- Pseudodifferential Operators, Princeton University Press 1981
- Pseudodifferential Operators and Nonlinear PDE, Birkhäuser, Progress in Mathematics, 1991
- Tools for PDE: Pseudodifferential Operators, Paradifferential Operators, and Layer Potentials, Mathematical Surveys and Monographs, Nr. 81, American Mathematical Society, Providence, R.I., 2000
- Editor with J. Rauch Singularities and Oscillations, Springer Verlag 1997
- Noncommutative microlocal analysis, Memoirs of the AMS, 1984
- Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Lester R. Ford Award in 1986 for discussion, in the American Mathematical Monthly in 1985, of the 2-volume treatise on linear partial differential operators by Lars Hörmander
- "Book Review of The Analysis of Linear Partial Differential Operators, Vols I & II". Amer. Math. Monthly. 92: 745–749. 1985. doi:10.2307/2323245.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-12-07.
- Jane Hawkins, How I became a mathematician.
- Eskin, Gregory (1998). "Review: Partial differential equations I, II, III, by Michael Taylor" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 35 (2): 175–177. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-98-00747-2.
- Strichart, Robert S. (1987). "Review: Noncommutative harmonic analysis, by Michael E. Taylor" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 17 (1): 152–156. doi:10.1090/S0273-0979-1987-15547-9.
- Duistermaat, J. J. (1982). "Review: Pseudodifferential operators, by Michael E. Taylor" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 7 (1): 277–279. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1982-15034-0.