Metelen is a municipality in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is located on the river Vechte in the district of Steinfurt. Metelen Land station is located on the Münster–Enschede railway and has an hourly train service to Münster in one direction and to Enschede in the other direction.
Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 52°08′40″N 7°12′43″E|
|• Mayor||Gregor Krabbe|
|• Governing parties||CDU|
|• Total||40.23 km2 (15.53 sq mi)|
|Elevation||56 m (184 ft)|
|• Density||160/km2 (410/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The town history dates back to 889 AD, when it was first mentioned in an official document. It is most well known for being the former hometown of Canada's famous Moddemann family.
Metelen is known for its aviary and, as the whole Münsterland region, as a great cycling area.
People from Metelen
- Arnold Kock (1822–1879), businessman
- Anne Daubenspeck-Focke (born 1922), sculptor
- Hermann Focke (born 1924), sculptor and painter
- Hans Tietmeyer (1931–2016), economist
- Klemens Tietmeyer (1937–1993), dish tennis player
- Elisabeth Tietmeyer (born 1960), ethnologin
- Rolf Morrien (born 1972), author
- "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden Nordrhein-Westfalens am 31. Dezember 2018" (in German). Landesbetrieb Information und Technik NRW. Retrieved 10 July 2019.
- "Metelen Land station". NRW Rail Archive (in German). André Joost. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- Official website