Metcalfe Street (Ottawa)
Metcalfe Street is a downtown arterial road in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It is named for Charles Theophilus Metcalfe, a nineteenth-century Governor General of the Province of Canada. It is a north-south route, operating one way northbound, providing a key thoroughfare from Highway 417 (the Queensway). In the late 19th century and the early 20th century, it was one of the most prestigious addresses in Ottawa being home address of Ottawa's mayor Thomas Birkett (306 Metcalfe, Embassy of the Republic of Hungary in Ottawa), Canada's lumber and railroad baron John Rudolphus Booth (252 Metcalfe, Booth House), inventor Thomas Willson a.k.a. Carbide Willson, and Sir Alexander Campbell, law partner of Sir John A. Macdonald (236 Metcalfe).
The southern terminus is at Monkland Avenue in The Glebe neighbourhood. It proceeds north as a minor residential street until the Queensway interchange (exit 119). As it continues north to downtown Ottawa, Metcalfe Street detours to the east of the Canadian Museum of Nature between Argyle Street and McLeod Street, then continuing straight until Wellington Street where the road ends at Parliament Hill.
(from North to South):
- Half-length portrait of Sir Charles Theophilus Metcalfe (1785–1846), 3rd Baronet and 1st Baron Metcalfe, the second son of Sir Thomas Metcalfe, British Library.
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Metcalfe, Charles Theophilus Metcalfe, Baron". Encyclopædia Britannica. 18 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- Ottawa Transportation Master Plan, see map 7 Central Area/Inner City Road Network
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Metcalfe Street, Ottawa.|