Location in western Quebec.
|Coordinates: 46°14′N 76°01′W|
|Constituted||August 19, 1921|
|• Mayor||Ronald Cross|
|• Federal riding||Pontiac|
|• Prov. riding||Gatineau|
|• Total||130.70 km2 (50.46 sq mi)|
|• Land||113.95 km2 (44.00 sq mi)|
|• Density||14.1/km2 (37/sq mi)|
|• Pop (2006–11)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
In 1840, the village of Messines was known by the name of Burbridge. The consolidation of this community, at the start of the 1900s, was thanks to the arrival of the railway, which for more than a century connected Hull (Gatineau) to Maniwaki. The name was changed to Messines around 1919. The Saint-Raphaël parish was legally constituted in 1906.
The first municipal council was elected in 1921 with Louis Lécuyer as its first mayor.
In the middle of the 20th century, Messines was very active in growing potatoes thanks to its sandy soil, ideal for extensive exploitation of this staple. For many years, an important agricultural co-operative was formed between the local and regional farmers of the day. The original main building of the co-op today houses a sawmill. During the second half of the century, the municipality’s economy gradually changed to tourism and cottagers, thanks to the presence of its magnificent lakes. Some of the more popular ones are: Blue Sea Lake, Big Cedar and Little Cedar Lakes. There are also many forested areas which are great for outdoor activities throughout the year. Today, the municipality is also known for its hunting and fishing territories, and for a wide variety of recreational activities available all year long.
Maniwaki Airport is located in Messines.
List of mayors
The mayors of Messines were:
- Reference number 177564 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
- Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire shows an area of 108.46 km2.
- Statistics Canada 2011 Census - Messines census profile
- Aéroport intermunicipal de Maniwaki - Ville de Maniwaki
- Maniwaki airport - La Vallée-de-la-Gatineau Regional County Municipality