The Melaten-Friedhof (Melaten Cemetery) is the central cemetery of Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It lies on the northern border of the municipal district of Lindenthal. It is first mentioned in 1243. It is bounded to the south by the Aachener Straße, to the east by the Piusstraße, to the west by the Oskar-Jäger-Straße and the Melatengürtel, and to the north by Weinsbergstraße. The 435,000-square-metre cemetery had 55,540 graves in 2008, and is the largest cemetery in the city.
The name "Melaten" refers to a hospital for the sick and lepers, known to have been in existence by the 12th century. The "hoff to Malaten" (modern German: Hof der Maladen, or "yard of the malades" (the sick)) is first mentioned in 1243.
Melaten is located approximately one kilometre west of the city district of Cologne, just beyond the Bischofsweg, the historical boundary between the territory of the city and that of the archbishop. The hospital therefore fell under the jurisdiction of the archbishop, and was in spiritual hands.
On the Cologne Stadtbahn, the nearest station to the cemetery is Melaten.
|Preceding station||KVB||Following station|
toward Köln-Weiden West