Medford Rogues (Great West League)
The Medford Rogues are a collegiate wood bat baseball team based in Medford, Oregon. They are current members of the Golden State Collegiate Baseball League. They begin play as an expansion team in the West Coast League in 2013, where they played from 2013 to 2015, and were founding members of the Great West League, where they played from 2016 to 2018. They play their home games at Harry & David Field and were named after the former Class-D Far West League affiliate of the New York Giants that played from 1950 to 1951. They were the 2017 GWL Champions.
|League||Golden State Collegiate Baseball League (2019–future)|
|Ballpark||Harry & David Field|
|League championships||1 (2017)|
|Colors||Green, Gray, Red and White|
|Ownership||Treg Scott (majority)|
Dave May (minority)
|Manager||Sean Gallagher (head coach)|
|General Manager||Dave May (COO)|
|Media||KDRV, KTVL (television)|
Mail Tribune (newspaper)
Tablerock Sports (internet/streaming)
The Rogues were founded in 2012 by Consolidated Sports Holdings International, Inc, based in Scottsdale, Arizona. The chief investor is Bill Yuill, chairman and C.E.O. of The Monarch Corporation of Medicine Hat, Alberta. The president is Gary Gelinas. The first general manager was Chuck Heeman, former G.M. of fellow West Coast League franchise the Klamath Falls Gems. The Rogues replaced the now-defunct Southern Oregon Riverdawgs, who played at Harry & David Field previously.
The Medford Rogues went 26-28 in their 2nd season of WCL play. They missed the play-offs by 5 games behind the wild card leader. Yuto Kata played as a support batter by sacrifice bunting 19 times and setting the WCL record for the most sacrifice bunts by any one batter in one season. Also, Spencer Smith got hit by pitch 18 times setting the record for the most times hit by the pitch by any batter. The Rogues put 41,490 people in the seats in 32 home openings with 1,297 a night.
The Rogues welcomed Ian Church as their new general manager for the 2015 WCL season, replacing Chuck Heeman. On September 23, 2015, the Rogues announced that they would be joining the Great West League, a new collegiate summer league with teams from Oregon and California. They became the sixth team to join the league along with the Chico Heat, Lodi Crushers, Marysville Gold Sox, Portland Pickles and the new Sacramento Stealth.
The Rogues named Carolyn Birch as interim general manager in the spring of 2016. They opened play in the Great West League on June 3, 2016, with a victory over the Portland Pickles. It was also announced that the Rogues will be the inaugural hosts of the annual GWL All-Star Game scheduled for July 25 and 26.
The Rogues finished the regular season at 40-20, their best record in history. But Carolyn Birch stepped down as general manager in the final game of the regular season against Chico on August 5, 2017. Also, Jonathan Kurman took over as play-by-play commentator near season's end after Brian Schnee (who started the season with the Rogues) became news/sports anchor at KTVL News 10. The Rogues took their semi-final series with the Portland Pickles 2 games to one and faced off against their chief rivals the Chico Heat in a rematch of last year's GWL Championship Series. They swept the Heat 5-3 in Game 1 in Chico and 7-2 in Game 2 in Medford to capture their first championship in franchise history dating back to their inaugural season in the WCL in 2013.
Following the season, head coach Josh Hogan stepped down to accept the head coaching position. He was replaced by former Oregon State Beavers and Arizona Diamondbacks standout Tyler Graham. In addition, Dave May, was named the team's new Chief Operating Officer.
On October 4, 2018, the Rogues ownership, CSH International, announced that the Rogues are exploring other options with regards to their future as the Great West League ceased operations the same day. On December 12, they announced that they were sold by CSH to local businessman Treg Scott effective December 31 and are joining the Golden State Collegiate Baseball League.
- Treg Scott - Majority Owner
- Dave May - Minority Owner/General Manager
- Freddy Sandoval - Director of Baseball Development
- Tabitha May - Director of Operations
- Jonathan Kurman - Director of Communications & Media Relations
- Jonathan Kurman - Play-By-Play Commentator
- Medford Rogues Join Great West League Archived 2016-03-05 at the Wayback Machine, Medford Rogues website, September 23, 2015
- MEDFORD ROGUES TO HOST INAUGURAL GREAT WEST LEAGUE ALL-STAR GAME - JULY 25-26, 2016 Archived 2016-07-02 at the Wayback Machine, GWL website, March 24, 2016
- TYLER GRAHAM NAMED ROGUES MANAGER, GWL website, October 20, 2017
- STATEMENT ON FUTURE OF ROGUES, Medford Rogues website, October 4, 2018
- ROGUES SOLD TO LOCAL BUSINESSMAN, Medford Rogues website, December 12, 2018
- Medford Rogues Join GSCBL, GSCBL website, December 12, 2018
- Rogues hire new head coach for 2019!, Medford Rogues website, January 14, 2019
- Medford Rogues Announce Additional Ownership, Medford Rogues website, February 19, 2019
- Rogues Front Office Archived 2015-10-08 at the Wayback Machine, Medford Rogues website