The Mecca Region (Arabic: مِنْطَقَة مَكَّة ٱلْمُكَرَّمَة Minṭaqah Makkah Al-Mukarramah ) is the most populous minṭaqah (region) in Saudi Arabia. It is located in western Saudi Arabia, and has an extended coastline, an area of 153,128 km2 (59,123 sq mi), and a population of 8,557,766 (2017 survey). Its capital is Mecca (also transliterated as Makkah), the holiest city in Islam, and its largest city is Jeddah, which is also Saudi Arabia's main port city. The third major city is Ta'if. This region also contains Rabigh, roughly the present-day area where the Islamic Nabi (Prophet) Muhammad gave a sermon at the event of Ghadir Khumm.
Map of Saudi Arabia with Mecca highlighted
|Coordinates: 21°30′N 41°0′E|
|• Governor||Khalid bin Faisal Al Saud|
|• Deputy governor||Badr bin Sultan bin Abdulaziz|
|• Total||153,148 km2 (59,131 sq mi)|
|• Density||56/km2 (140/sq mi)|
Population development since 1992:
Governors of the Mecca Region since the establishment of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia are as follows:
- Khalid bin Mansour bin Lowaay (1924)
- Mohammed bin Abdurrahman bin Faisal Al Saud (1924–1925)
- Faisal (1925–1958)
- Abdullah bin Saud (1960)
- Abdullah Al Faisal (in capacity as Interior Minister and deputy of vice king), (1963–1968)
- Mutaib bin Abdulaziz (1958–1961)
- Mishaal bin Abdulaziz (1963–1971)
- Fawwaz bin Abdulaziz (1971–1980)
- Majid bin Abdulaziz (1980–1999)
- Abdul Majeed bin Abdulaziz (1999–2007)
- Khalid Al Faisal (2007–2013)
- Mishaal bin Abdullah Al Saud (2013–2015)
- Khalid Al Faisal (2015–), reappointed by King Salman
- "Population Characteristics surveys" (PDF). General Authority for Statistics (Saudi Arabia). 2017. Retrieved January 7, 2019.
- "G̲h̲adīr K̲h̲umm". Encyclopedia of Islam. Brill Online. 2012. Archived from the original on 2014-10-18.
- Saudi Arabia: Regions and Cities
- "Emirs of Makkah". Saudi Ministry of Interior. Retrieved May 3, 2012.
- Emirate of Mecca Region Official Website
- A travel through the province of Mecca, Splendid Arabia: A travel site with photos and routes
- Umm Al Qura University in Mecca
- General Authority for Statistics - Kingdom of Saudi Arabia