Meander Valley Council
Meander Valley Council is a local government body in northern Tasmania. It covers the western outskirts of Launceston, and further westward along the Meander River. Meander Valley Council is classified as a rural local government area and has a population of 19,572. Major towns and localities of the region include Elizabeth Town, Mole Creek, Westbury and the principal town of Deloraine.
|Meander Valley Council|
Map showing the Meander Valley local government area.
|• Density||5.8/km2 (15/sq mi)|
|Established||2 April 1993|
|Area||3,821 km2 (1,475.3 sq mi)|
|Region||Great Western Tiers|
|State electorate(s)||Lyons, Bass|
|Federal Division(s)||Lyons, Bass|
|Website||Meander Valley Council|
History and attributes
On 2 April 1993, the municipalities of Deloraine and Westbury were amalgamated to form the Meander Valley Council. Meander Valley is classified as rural, agricultural and very large (RAV) under the Australian Classification of Local Governments.
The municipality includes the localities of Bracknell, Carrick, Chudleigh, Hagley, Meander, Mole Creek, Westbury, Elizabeth Town, Caveside, Exton and Travellers Rest. It also includes the outer western suburbs of Launceston including Blackstone Heights and Prospect Vale, and the satellite town of Hadspen.
A majority of the Great Western Tiers mountain range is within the Meander Valley municipal area.
Localities and suburbs
|Localities||Census population 2011||Reason|
|Kimberley||436||Includes Weegena, Moltema, Dunorlan|
|Weegena||Incl. in Kimberley|
|Moltema||Incl. in Kimberley|
|Dunorlan||Incl. in Kimberley|
|Elizabeth Town||420||Includes Parkham|
|Parkham||Incl. in Elizabeth Town|
|Birralee||362||Includes Rosevale, Selbourne|
|Rosevale||Incl. in Birralee|
|Selbourne||Incl. in Birralee|
|Westwood||Incl. in Carrick|
|Quamby Bend||Incl. in Westbury|
|Quamby Brook||Incl. in Golden Valley|
|Westbury||2,104||Includes Quamby Bend, Osmaston|
|Osmaston||Incl. in Westbury|
|Carrick||870||Includes Westwood, Oaks|
|Oaks||Incl. in Carrick|
|Cluan||Incl. in Whitemore|
|Montana||Incl. in Meander|
|Golden Valley||290||Includes Quamby Brook|
|Jackeys Marsh||Incl. in Meander|
|Meander||415||Includes Jackeys Marsh|
|Western Creek||Incl. in Caveside|
|Lake McKenzie||Incl. in Mersey Forest|
|Rowallan||Incl. in Mersey Forest|
|Mersey Forest||0||Includes Lake McKenzie, Rowallan, Parangana, Lemonthyme, Cradle Mountain|
|Parangana||Incl. in Mersey Forest|
|Lemonthyme||Incl. in Mersey Forest|
|Cradle Mountain||Incl. in Mersey Forest, Staverton (Kentish)|
|Liena||Incl. in Mole Creek|
|Mayberry||Incl. in Mole Creek|
|Mole Creek||609||Includes Mayberry, Liena|
|Caveside||318||Includes Western Creek, Dairy Plains|
|Chudleigh||Includes Needles, Red Hills, Lemana Junction|
|Needles||Incl. in Chudleigh|
|Red Hills||Incl. in Chudleigh|
|Lemana Junction||Incl. in Chudleigh|
|Exton||Incl. in Reedy Marsh|
|Local government total||18,888||Gazetted Central Coast Local Government Area|
Missing from the above list
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2016-17: Population Estimates by Local Government Area (ASGS 2017), 2016 to 2017 - Revised". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Bureau of Statistics. 31 August 2018. Retrieved 15 October 2018. Estimated resident population, 30 June 2017.
- "Agency Details: Meander Valley Council". search.archives.tas.gov.au. Tasmanian Government. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- "Councillors". Meander Valley Council. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Local government national report 2014-2015". regional.gov.au. Australian Government. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- Not all localities are suburbs
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. "2011 Census QuickStats". Retrieved 5 April 2016.
- Meander Valley Council - official website
- Local Government Association Tasmania
- Tasmanian Electoral Commission - local government