McDowell High School
McDowell High School is a public high school located in Millcreek Township, Pennsylvania a suburb of Erie. It is the only high school in the Millcreek Township School District. The school's mascot is the Trojan.
|McDowell High School|
3580 West 38th St
|Motto||The Right Place For Every Kid|
|Color(s)||Blue and White |
There are approximately 2,500 students attending McDowell High School. The McDowell campus includes two buildings: McDowell Intermediate accommodating students in grades 9 and 10, and McDowell Senior accommodating grades 11 and 12. Students travel between facilities on the campus when attending classes.
|Group||Number of students||Percent|
|Two or More Races||57||2.5%|
|American Indian/Alaskan Native||5||0.2%|
|Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander||2||0.1%|
The Millcreek Township School Board has been in talks since 2009 for renovations to the McDowell property. In December 2011, the school board announced four possible options for renovation, ranging in cost from $80 million to $100 million. The board has decided to create a new practice field for football.
On July 31, 2012, by a vote of 8-1, the Millcreek Township School Board voted in favor of consolidating both McDowell Senior High and McDowell Intermediate at cost of $110 million. During the meeting, school board members voted 6-3 in favor of moving Gus Anderson Field to the east side of Caughey Road, despite major student complaints for air condition.
On February 7, 2013, the superintendent of Millcreek, Michael Golde, announced he was taking a medical leave and stepping down from his position. One week later, the school board announced plans for a new McDowell were being scaled back, due to the high cost of the building.
In late February and early March, it was revealed the school district was between $6 million and $9 million in debt. The final announced total was $8.8 million, as of April 12, 2013. Due to the budget shortfall, the Millcreek Township School District announced the closure of two elementary schools, which officially ended the McDowell renovation project.
- Dan Briggs, musician (Between the Buried and Me)
- Marc Brown, author of Arthur television show
- James Conner, All-American college football player and current NFL running back for Pittsburgh Steelers
- Jim Corbett, NFL player
- David Greenberger, artist
- William Kowalski, American-Canadian novelist and screenwriter
- Katie Linendoll, TV host, speaker and journalist, focused on technology and gadgets
- Connor McDavid, center and team captain for NHL's Edmonton Oilers
- Pat Monahan, lead singer of Train
- Mark Nelson, chemist and inventor of the antibiotic Nuzyra
- Brian Stablein, former NFL receiver (Indianapolis Colts and Detroit Lions, 1994-2000)
- Jonathan Stark, television writer/producer "Cheers", "Ellen, "Drew Carey", "According to Jim"
- Dylan Strome, hockey player, Arizona Coyotes prospect
- Chris Vrenna, musician (Tweaker, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson)
- "McDowell HS". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved January 23, 2019.
- "McDowell High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 10 August 2018.
- "Error". edline.net. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Article 404 - GoErie.com - Erie, PA". GoErie.com. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "Golde On Medical Leave, Not Returning As Millcreek Superintendent". erietvnews.com. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- Guide, TV. "Melrose Place Star Amy Locane-Bovenizer Sentenced to Three Years in Prison". goerie.com. Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "2015 OHL Academic Players of the Year". Ontario Hockey League. April 30, 2015.