|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
|Years active||1968 - 2004|
Born in Rome, he wrote cinema reviews in several Italian magazines during the early 1960s. He worked as assistant director in Pier Paolo Pasolini's episode in Amore e rabbia and directed a series of documentaries in 1967-1968.
He has directed 22 films between 1968 (his debut film I visionari won a prize in the Locarno Festival) and 2004. His film The Pool Hustlers (Io, Chiara e lo Scuro, one of three featuring Francesco Nuti that Ponzi directed in the early 1980s) was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 1983 Cannes Film Festival.
- I visionari (1968) The Visionaries (1968)
- Equinozio (1971)
- Il caso Raoul (1975)
- Io, Chiara e lo Scuro (1982) The Pool Hustlers (1982)
- Madonna che silenzio c'è stasera (1982)
- Son contento (1983)
- Qualcosa di biondo (1984) or Aurora (1984)
- Il tenente dei carabinieri (1986)
- Noi uomini duri (1987)
- Il volpone (1988)
- Volevo i pantaloni (1990)
- Vietato ai minori (1992)
- Anche i commercialisti hanno un'anima (1994)
- Italiani (1996)
- Fratelli coltelli (1997)
- Besame mucho (1999)
- A luci spente (2004)
- Ci vediamo a casa (2012)
- "Festival de Cannes: The Pool Hustlers". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 20 June 2009.