Maureen O'Sullivan (politician)
|Assumed office |
|Born||10 March 1951|
East Wall, Dublin, Ireland
|Alma mater||University College Dublin|
A native of Dublin's East Wall, she was educated locally at Mount Carmel school. After completing a BA at University College Dublin, she then went on to work as an English and History teacher and guidance counsellor in a secondary school in Baldoyle, a position she held for 30 years.
She was a member of Tony Gregory's local political organisation in the 1970s, first canvassing for him and later serving as his election agent. She was co-opted onto Dublin City Council for the North Inner City area from September 2008 to June 2009, after the retirement of Mick Rafferty. After the death of Tony Gregory, she won the resulting by-election which was held on the same day as the local elections where she also won a seat on Dublin City Council, for the North Inner City electoral area. Marie Metcalfe was co-opted to take the seat due to the dual mandate rule; subsequently Anna Quigley replaced Metcalfe on Dublin City Council, who was in turn replaced by Mel MacGiobúin in March 2014. MacGiobúin failed to be elected at the local elections held in May.
In December 2015, Maureen O'Sullivan and fellow independent TDs Clare Daly and Mick Wallace each put forward offers of a €5,000 surety for a 23-year-old man being prosecuted under terrorism legislation in the Special Criminal Court in Dublin charged with membership of an illegal dissident republican terrorist organisation.
After the 2016 general election she unsuccessfully stood for election as Ceann Comhairle. She joined a technical group aligned with Independents 4 Change, while remaining outside the Independents 4 Change party. O'Sullivan was criticised by the brother of late TD Tony Gregory, over an allegedly false claim made in her election literature.
- "Maureen O'Sullivan". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 8 September 2009.
- "Maureen O'Sullivan". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 7 June 2009.
- Marie O'Halloran (8 June 2009). "O'Sullivan dedicates her victory to Tony Gregory's legacy". The Irish Times. Retrieved 8 June 2009.
- "TDs agree to form technical group". The Irish Times. 9 March 2011.
- "Political gender quota legislation planned". RTÉ News. Retrieved 28 May 2011.
- Hickey, Daniel (17 December 2015). "Mick Wallace and Clare Daly among sureties on bail application for man arrested on IRA and explosive charges". Irish Independent. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Hosford, Paul. "Independent TD defends attempt to post bail for man accused of involvement in plot to bomb Prince Charles visit". TheJournal.ie. Retrieved 2017-11-28.
- Bardon, Sarah (1 June 2016). "Ministers told they must seek permission to miss Dáil votes over 'delicate voting situation'". The Irish Times. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "Brother of late Tony Gregory criticises TD Maureen O'Sullivan over election claim - Independent.ie". Independent.ie. Retrieved 2017-11-26.
| Independent Teachta Dála for Dublin Central