Masson-Angers is a former municipality and now a sector within the city of Gatineau. It is located on the north shore of the Ottawa River, in Quebec, Canada, approximately 30 km (18.6 mi) northeast of downtown Ottawa, Ontario. According to the Canada 2011 Census, Masson-Angers had a population of 12,397.
The former municipality of Masson was created in 1897, while its neighbouring town, Angers was created in 1915. The area was key for the lumber industry dominated by the MacLaren family in the early 20th century and a large mill was built in Masson near the Du Lièvre River. It was briefly merged with Buckingham in 1975 but later formed a new municipality with Angers which was now called Masson-Angers. On June 27 1978, an F2 tornado swept through the eastern half of Masson causing extensive damage to the town.
On January 1, 2002, Masson-Angers was amalgamated into the newly created city of Gatineau. It had consisted of the communities of Masson and Angers.
A subsequent vote on June 20, 2004 for a demerger from Gatineau failed to restore the once incorporated town. The majority of the votes cast in Masson-Angers were in favour of separation from Gatineau, but they did not represent at least 35% of the electorate. However, current councillor Luc Montreuil disputed the result reversal mentioning that the electoral list was not updated correctly for the vote. After the reversal, the issue went to court.
Initially, the results showed that the sector would be removed from Gatineau by just two votes but a dispute on allegations that some people voted twice had caused the result to be reversed which caused the new result dispute by Luc Montreuil and his pro-defusion group.
In June 2008, the Quebec Superior Court concluded that there were no issues with the electoral list and thus Masson-Angers remained with the city of Gatineau. After the Court's decision the Collectif pour la reconstitution de Masson-Angers decided in July not to appeal the decision officially closing the referendum case.
Features and facts
- Public transportation is provided by the Société de transport de l'Outaouais and offers Route 94 during the morning peak period, and Route 93 during both peak periods. Route 95 also provides service, during both AM and PM peaks, to a small portion of the municipality. STO Route 97 offers service to Masson-Angers throughout the day- allowing for travel to both Gatineau and Buckingham.Route 148 and Autoroute 50 are the main highways in the sector
- The sector is home to the city's largest outdoor market the Encan Larose (Larose Market) which also has an indoor shopping centre and food court and other interior boutiques selling a variety of products.
The Commission scolaire au Cœur-des-Vallées operates Francophone public schools in this district.
Healthcare and social services
The nearest healthcare facility is Hôpital de Papineau located in the nearby Buckingham sector. This community hospital offers emergency room services, consultations in several specialties such as psychiatry, internal medicine, general surgery, medical imaging, endoscopy, and cardiology, and also is capable of hospitalizing patients both on regular floors and in the intensive care unit. Since specialized services such as percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) and neurosurgical interventions are not offered in Buckingham, multiple service corridors with Hôpital de Hull and Hôpital de Gatineau also exist.
- Population calculated by adding census tracts 5050710.01, 5050710.02
- Boivin, Mathieu (July 31, 2004). "Luc Montreuil dépose sa requête pour une révision de la liste de vote (Councillor depositing request for electoral list review)". Le Droit. p. 4.
- Jury, Pierre (June 25, 2006). "La défusion de Masson-Angers (Masson-Angers is dermerging from Gatineau)". Le Droit. p. 20.
- Lord, Audrey (June 21, 2004). "Masson-Angers l'emporte de justesse (Masson-Angers narrowly wins referendum)". Le Droit. p. 3.
- Lecavalier, Guy (July 2, 2004). "Montreuil doit démissionner (Montreuil must resign)". Le Droit. p. 17.
- L'Ecuyer, Marie-Pierre (June 17, 2008). "Masson-Angers reste dans Gatineau: la ville est satisfaite, Montreuil est déçu". Info07.com. Archived from the original on January 26, 2013.
- L'Ecuyer,, Marie-Pierre (July 14, 2008). "Le Collectif pour la reconstitution de Masson-Angers n'ira pas en appel". Info07.com. Archived from the original on September 9, 2012.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "TERRITOIRE DESSERVI." Commission scolaire au Cœur-des-Vallées. Retrieved on July 15, 2016.
- "Centres intégrés de santé et de services sociaux de l'Outaouais : Hôpital de Papineau". Gouvernement du Québec. Gouvernement du Québec, 2018. Retrieved 13 September 2018.