Maryland Department of Transportation
The Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) is an organization comprising five business units and one Authority. They are: The Secretary's Office, State Highway Administration, Maryland Transit Administration, Motor Vehicle Administration, Maryland Port Administration, Maryland Aviation Administration and the Maryland Transportation Authority. This unique approach provides the state’s leadership with the ability to develop a coordinated and balanced approach to transportation.
|Formed||July 1, 1971|
|Jurisdiction||State of Maryland|
|Headquarters||7201 Corporate Center Drive Hanover, Maryland, U.S.|
|Employees||11,000 (FY 2015)|
|Annual budget||$5 billion annual budget (FY 2015)|
|Parent agency||State of Maryland|
MDOT oversees the following organizations:
Former Secretaries of Transportation
- 2019-present, Gregory Slater
- 2015–2019, Pete K. Rahn
- 2013–2015, James T. Smith, Jr.
- 2012–2013, Darrell Mobley (Acting Secretary)
- 2009–2012, Beverley K. Swaim-Staley
- 2007–2009, John D. Porcari
- 2003–2007, Robert L. Flanagan
- 1999–2003, John D. Porcari
- 1995–1998, David L. Winstead
- 1991–1994, O. James Lighthizer
- 1987–1991, Richard H. Trainor
- 1984–1987, William K. Hellmann
- 1981–1984, Lowell K. Bridwell
- 1979–1981, James J. O'Donnell
- 1977–1979, Herman K. Intemann
- 1970–1977, Harry R. Hughes
- "Maryland Department of Transportation FY 2013 Budget". Maryland State Archives. Retrieved May 3, 2012.
- Maryland Department of Transportation. MDOT official website. Retrieved 2010-2-17.