Martin Heydon (born 9 August 1978) is an Irish Fine Gael politician who has served as a Teachta Dála (TD) for the Kildare South constituency since 2011. He has been the Chairman of the Fine Gael Parliamentary Party since June 2016.
|Assumed office |
|Born||9 August 1978|
Kilcullen, County Kildare, Ireland
|Political party||Fine Gael|
|Spouse(s)||Brianne Leahy (m. 2009)|
|Alma mater||Kildalton Agricultural College|
Heydon is a native of South Kildare and lives outside of Kilcullen town, owning a family farm. He was educated in Crookstown National School, Cross and Passion College Kilcullen and Teagasc Kildalton Agricultural College in County Kilkenny.
Heydon joined the Fine Gael in 2008. He was elected to Kildare County Council at the 2009 local elections, at his first attempt. He was replaced on Kildare County Council following his Dáil Éireann election in February 2011, by Councillor Ivan Keatley.
He was the first Fine Gael TD to be elected in the Kildare South constituency, after Alan Dukes lost his seat in 2002. Heydon ran on his own for the party in 2011 and polled over 12,000 votes to be returned as a first-time TD on the first count, his first attempt in a general election. He was more than 3,000 votes above the quota and as a result Newbridge Fine Gael Councillor Fiona McLoughlin Healy was added to the ballot for the 2016 general election as his running mate.
On 8 June 2016, Heydon was elected Chair of the Fine Gael Parliamentary Party, succeeding retired Limerick TD Dan Neville. Carlow–Kilkenny TD Pat Deering was elected Vice Chair, by the Parliamentary Party. Heydon's responsibilities in this role include chairing the weekly meeting of Fine Gael TDs and Senators in Leinster House, and representing the party through the European People's Party (EPP) in the European Parliament.
Heydon is married to pharmacist and former ladies' GAA All-Star Brianne Leahy. The couple have two sons.
He is an officer of his local Gaelic football club, St Laurence's GAA.
- "Martin Heydon". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- "Martin Heydon". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- "Hunk Heydon is top of the sex-appeal poll". Irish Independent. 30 May 2009. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Martin Heydon TD". Fine Gael. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "Martin Heydon". TheJournal.ie. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- Davin-Power, David. "Kildare South constituency". RTÉ News. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- Gartland, Fiona (27 February 2016). "Kildare South results: Mark Heydon (FG) tops poll as Fianna Fáil takes 2 remaining seats". The Irish Times. Retrieved 28 February 2016.
- "New Fund for Agri-Business Start Ups recognises Importance of this sector for Rural Ireland – Heydon". Martin Heydon TD. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "Heydon honoured to be elected Chair of Fine Gael Parliamentary Party". Fine Gael Parliamentary Party. Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- "Fellow politicians congratulate Kildare TD on appointment to major new role". Kildare Now. 9 June 2016. Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- "TD Martin Heydon marries his All-Star Brianne Leahy". Leinster Leader. 28 May 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "About Martin Heydon". Martin Heydon TD. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- Gartland, Fiona (27 February 2016). "Profile: Martin Heydon (FG)". The Irish Times. Retrieved 28 February 2016.
| Fine Gael Teachta Dála for Kildare South
|Party political offices|
| Chairman of the Fine Gael parliamentary party