Martin Gleeson (Australian footballer)
Martin Gleeson (born 25 August 1994) is a professional Australian rules footballer, currently playing for the Essendon Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). His position on the field is half back. He is the nephew of former Carlton player Adrian Gleeson.
Gleeson playing for Essendon in June 2017
|Full name||Martin Gleeson|
|Date of birth||25 August 1994|
|Original team(s)||North Ballarat Rebels (TAC Cup)|
|Draft||No. 53, 2012 national draft|
|Height||191 cm (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||84 kg (185 lb)|
|Position(s)||Defender / Midfielder|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2019.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Gleeson played for the North Ballarat Rebels in the TAC Cup. He was drafted by Essendon with pick 53 in the 2012 national draft and played 13 games in the VFL before injuring his shoulder. He made his AFL debut against North Melbourne in round 1 of the 2014 AFL season. Like his uncle Adrian, he played for Koroit as a junior.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
Gleeson is a wiry defender, who consistently displays courage and is able to use the ball efficiently. In 2016, he averaged more than five intercept possessions per game to finish third in that category at the club, behind Matt Dea and James Kelly. A great reader of the play, Gleeson often floats behind the pack to take an uncontested mark.
- "Martin Gleeson - essendonfc.com.au". essendonfc.com.au. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- Brady, Anthony (17 March 2014), "Bright future for Koroit's shining star", The Moyne Gazette
- "Roos in for pain", Herald Sun, 23 March 2014
- "Martin Gleeson". AFL Tables. Retrieved 1 November 2019.
- "Martin Gleeson - essendonfc.com.au". essendonfc.com.au. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Martin Gleeson (Australian footballer).|
- Martin Gleeson's profile on the official website of the Essendon Football Club
- Martin Gleeson's playing statistics from AFL Tables