MarketWatch is an American financial information website that provides business news, analysis, and stock market data. It is a subsidiary of Dow Jones & Company, a property of News Corp, which also owns The Wall Street Journal and Barron's.
Type of site
|Headquarters||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Owner||Dow Jones & Company|
|Launched||July 30, 1997|
The publication reported it hit a record 33.3 million unique visitors in February 2018. The previous record was 27 million unique visitors in one month. As recently as January 2016, it had 23.3 million unique visitors, which was then a record. It has been honored several times as a top large business-focused website by Editor & Publisher, Media Week, the Society of American Business Editors and Writers, and other publications and organizations.
The company operates BigCharts.com and the stock market simulation site VirtualStockExchange.com. The publication's OCLC number is 56914924.
As per its website, MarketWatch was founded in 1997 by Larry Kramer, Bill Bishop and Thom Calandra, formerly of Bloomberg London editorial department. It received initial funding from the Financial Times and Data Broadcasting Corp., a San Mateo, California, company that owned distribution rights for financial information. Calandra recommended that Kramer hire David Callaway a former colleague of Calandra, as the site's managing editor from Bloomberg two years later. In January 2005, Dow Jones acquired it for $530 million. For a short while, MarketWatch operated in partnership with CBS News. In 2013, Glenn Hall, former editor in chief of TheStreet, became the editor of MarketWatch. In 2014, Jeremy Olshan, a veteran of the New York Post, took over as editor.
- Adinolfi, Joseph (May 14, 2014). "Jeremy Olshan takes reins as editor of MarketWatch". MarketWatch. Retrieved October 9, 2019.
- "marketwatch.com Competitive Analysis, Marketing Mix and Traffic". Alexa Internet. Retrieved October 9, 2019.
- "Whois Record for MarketWatch.com". Domain Tools. Retrieved October 9, 2019.
- Roush, Chris (March 13, 2018). "MarketWatch.com sets monthly visitor record". Talking Biz News. Retrieved October 9, 2019.
- Wilkerson, David B (July 10, 2012). "Callaway to become top USA Today editor". MarketWatch. Retrieved October 9, 2019.
- "MarketWatch.com, Inc. ... annual report". WorldCat. Retrieved October 9, 2019.
- "appoints Glenn Hall editor". MarketWatch. September 23, 2013. Retrieved February 7, 2017.