Mark Bennett (Scottish rugby player)
|Birth name||Mark Stewart Bennett|
|Date of birth||3 February 1993|
|Place of birth||Irvine, Scotland|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||90 kg (14 st 2 lb; 198 lb)|
|Rugby union career|
Rugby union career
He also made his senior debut for Glasgow in 2011 and secured a move to French side ASM Clermont Auvergne. A serious knee injury disrupted his season, and he returned to Glasgow in 2012 to join the Warriors on loan with the move being made permanent in 2013.
Bennett was named in Vern Cotter's first ever squad for Scotland's 2014 summer tour, but failed to play in any of the four games. He was reselected in Scotland's squad for the 2014 Autumn Internationals, making his debut in Scotland's 41–31 victory over Argentina on 8 November 2014.
After establishing himself in the squad, Bennett played in all five of Scotland's matches in the 2015 Six Nations Championship, notching tries against Italy and England. He also had a potentially decisive try against Wales controversially disallowed, after team-mate Sam Hidalgo-Clyne was incorrectly judged to have knocked-on when fouled near the try line.
After recovering from an injury which ruled him out of the run-in to Glasgow Warriors' 2014–15 Pro12 title triumph, Bennett was selected in Scotland's 31-man squad for the 2015 Rugby World Cup. He scored two tries in the team's opening match victory over Japan. Bennett was nominated for "Breakthrough Player of the Year" by World Rugby after the tournament.
He represented Great Britain at the 2016 Summer Olympics.
- "Mark Bennett joins Clermont Auvergne". Glasgow Warriors. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Mark Bennett joins Glasgow on loan". Glasgow Warriors. 12 November 2012. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Glasgow Warriors sign Mark Bennett from Clermont Auvergne". Telegraph. 28 February 2013. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Mark Bennett: Scotland centre to join Edinburgh from Glasgow Warriors". BBC News. 14 February 2017.
- "Mark Bennett Scotland Under 20 Player Profile". Scottishrugby.org. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Mark Bennett IRB JWC Player Profile". IRB.com. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Rugby World Cup 2015: Mark Bennett in running for world award". BBC Sport. BBC. 26 October 2015. Retrieved 27 October 2015.