Marija Leiko (also known as Marija Leyko; 14 August 1887, Riga, Latvia – 3 February 1938, Moscow, USSR) was a Latvian silent movie actress in Europe since the 1910s, especially popular in Latvia, Germany and Russia.
|Born||August 14, 1887|
|Died||February 3, 1938 50) (aged|
Life and film career
Leiko conquered the German big screen first, starring in the The Diamond Foundation (1917), Kain (1918), Ewiger Strom (1919), Die Frau im Käfig (1919) and Lola Montez (1919) as the dancer.
When the silent movie era ended Leiko retired from film acting. After the Nazi seizure of power in 1933, she returned to her native Latvia. In 1935 she visited the Soviet Union and stayed to join the company of the Latvian State Theatre in Moscow.
During the so-called "Latvian Operation" the theatre was shut down, and on 15 December 1937, Leiko was arrested on charges of belonging to a "Latvian nationalist conspiracy". On 3 February 1938 at the age of 50 she was shot and buried in a mass grave at the secret NKVD killing field at Butovo, near Moscow.
- Die Räuberbande (1928)
- The Green Alley (1928) playing Katherina Rezek
- At Ruedesheimer Castle There Is a Lime Tree (1928) playing Fritz's mother
- Aufstieg der kleinen Lilian (1925)
- Dr. Wislizenus (1924)
- The Treasure of Gesine Jacobsen (1923)
- Der Frauenkönig (1923)
- Die Schneiderkomteß (1922) playing the young Comtesse
- Sunken Worlds (1922)
- Children of Darkness (1921, 2 pats) playing Maria Geone
- Die Frau von morgen (1921)
- The Rats (1921) playing Pauline Piperkarcka
- The Fear of Women (1921) playing Reederstochter
- Am Webstuhl der Zeit (1921) (as Marija Leyko) playing Ruth Einser, Hansen's assistant
- Das Opfer der Ellen Larsen (1921)
- Brandherd (aka Verlogene Moral. English release title Torgus) (1921) playing Anna
- The Red Masquerade Ball (1921)
- Die Kwannon von Okadera (1920) playing Ingele von Geortz
- Eternal River (1920) playing Marija
- Satanas (English release tite: Satan) (1920) playing Irene
- Die Frau im Käfig (1919)
- Freie Liebe (1919)
- Lola Montez (aka aka Am Hofe Ludwigs I. von Bayern) (1919)
- Das Frühlingslied (1918)
- Die Diamantenstiftung (1917)
- Profile, kino-teatr.ru; accessed 14 August 2015.(in Russian)
- Marija Leiko at Find a Grave
- Marija Leiko on IMDb
- Marija Leiko filmography, mcomet.com; accessed 14 August 2015.
- Marija Leiko filmography, citwf.com; accessed 14 August 2015.