Maria Teresa Felicitas d'Este
Maria Teresa Felicitas d'Este (October 6, 1726 – April 30, 1754) was born a princess of Modena and was by marriage the Duchess of Penthièvre. She was the mother-in-law of Philippe Égalité and thus grandmother to the future Louis-Philippe of France.
|Marie Thérèse Félicité|
|Duchess of Penthièvre|
1750 portrait at Eu
|Born||6 October 1726|
Ducal Palace, Modena
|Died||30 April 1754 27) (aged|
Château de Rambouillet, France
|Spouse||Louis Jean Marie de Bourbon, Duke of Penthièvre|
|Issue||Louis Alexandre, Prince of Lamballe|
Marie Adélaide, Duchess of Orléans
|Father||Francesco III d'Este, Duke of Modena|
|Mother||Charlotte Aglaé d'Orléans|
One of nine children, she was the first daughter of the family but her mother eventually returned to France to live.
Penthièvre was Maria Teresa's mother's first cousin. Charlotte Aglaé's mother was the sister of the duke's father, Louis-Alexandre Count of Toulouse. According to some contemporaries, the marriage between the duke and his wife was reportedly a happy one, to which numerous children were born.
- Louis Marie de Bourbon (1746-1749);
- Louis Alexandre, Prince of Lamballe (1747-1768);
- Jean Marie de Bourbon (1748-1755), duc de Châteauvillain;
- Vincent de Bourbon (1750-1752);
- Marie Louise de Bourbon (1751-1753);
- Louise Marie Adélaïde de Bourbon (1753-1821);
- Louis Marie Félicité de Bourbon (1754), died at birth.
Marie Thérèse died at the Château de Rambouillet after giving birth to Louis Marie Félicité de Bourbon, who died soon afterwards. Only two of the Penthièvre children survived into adulthood:
- Louis-Alexandre de Bourbon, her second but only surviving son, married Princess Marie Louise of Savoy, who after his death became the favourite of the future Queen Marie Antoinette.
- Louise Marie Adélaïde de Bourbon-Penthièvre, her youngest and only surviving daughter, wed Louis Philippe II, Duke of Orléans, while he was still known as the Duke of Chartres.
- Journal de la vie de S.A.S. madame la Dsse. d'Orléans, douairière
- Genealogie ascendante jusqu'au quatrieme degre inclusivement de tous les Rois et Princes de maisons souveraines de l'Europe actuellement vivans [Genealogy up to the fourth degree inclusive of all the Kings and Princes of sovereign houses of Europe currently living] (in French). Bourdeaux: Frederic Guillaume Birnstiel. 1768. p. 86.
Media related to Maria Teresa Felicitas d'Este at Wikimedia Commons