Marguerite, Duchess of Rohan
Marguerite de Rohan (1617 – 9 April 1684) was a French noblewoman and suo jure Duchess of Rohan. She married Henri Chabot for love and the couple produced four children. A great heiress, she inherited the Duchy (later principality) of Soubise which was given to her daughter Anne.
|Duchess of Rohan|
Princess of Léon
Engraving of Madame de Rohan
|Died||9 April 1684|
|Anne, Princess of Soubise|
Louis, Duke of Rohan, Prince of Léon
Jeanne Pelagie, Princess of Epinoy
|Father||Henri de Rohan|
|Mother||Marguerite de Béthune|
Her family claimed ancestry from the reigning Dukes of Brittany and at the French court, were allowed the rank of Foreign Princes. This entitled them to the style of Highness and other privileges at court.
Appealing to the Queen Regent Anne of Austria, in 1645 Louis XIV issued a certificate that willed Marguerite the right to keep her status, her dignity of a princess, should she marry Henri Chabot. When the Marquis of Seneterre interrogated her on these matters, she replied: I do not know if I shall be able to decide to marry him, but I do feel that I could not bear it if he married someone else.
Previously, her hand had been asked by Louis de Bourbon, Count of Soissons and cousin of the King Henri IV; she refused. Other candidates included Prince Rupert of the Rhine, the Duke of Nemours, and the Duke of Saxe-Weimar. Eventually, she married Henri in Paris on 6 June 1645. The couple were the parents of six children, four of which would have progeny.
By her marriage, she brought her dowry to her husband as well as all her possessions and titles, with the condition that the children bear the name and coat-of-arms of Rohan only. Later the children decided to call themselves Rohan-Chabot and thereby did not honour the clauses of the marriage-contract.
The marriage of a Rohan to a mere nobleman of no fortune was seen as a mésalliance for the powerful Rohans, one of the oldest families in France. Her husband was created Duke of Rohan in 1648.
- X de Rohan-Chabot
- Marguerite Gabrielle Charlotte de Rohan-Chabot (d.17 June 1720) married Malo de Coëtquen, Marquis de Coëtquen and had issue;
- Anne Julie de Rohan-Chabot, Princess of Soubise (1648 – 4 February 1709) married François de Rohan, Prince de Soubise and had issue; was mistress of Louis XIV;
- Gilone de Rohan-Chabot (?) died in infancy;
- Louis de Rohan-Chabot, Duke of Rohan, Prince de Léon (3 November 1652 – 17 August 1727) married Marie Elisabeth du Bec-Crespin de Grimaldi and had issue;
- Jeanne Pelagie de Rohan-Chabot (d.18 August 1698) married Alexandre Guillaume de Melun, Prince d'Epinoy and had issue; was grandmother of Anne Julie de Melun, Princesse de Soubise, wife of Jules de Rohan, a grandson of the above Anne.
|Ancestors of Marguerite, Duchess of Rohan|
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 1617 – 13 April 1639 Mademoiselle de Rohan
- 13 April 1639 – 27 February 1655 Her Highness, Duchess de Rohan, Princess de Léon
- 27 February 1655 – 9 April 1684 Her Highness Dowager Duchess de Rohan
References and notes
- van de Pas, Leo. "Marguerite de Rohan, Duchess of Rohan, Princess of Léon". Genealogics .org. Retrieved 2010-04-07.