Marca (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈmaɾka]), stylised as MARCA, is a Spanish national daily sport newspaper owned by Unidad Editorial. The newspaper focuses primarily on football, in particular the day-to-day activities of Real Madrid, Atlético Madrid and Rayo Vallecano. It has a daily readership of over 2,500,000, the highest in Spain for a daily newspaper, and more than half of sports readership.
Marca's first publication. The caption reads: "Arm raised to the sportsmen of Spain".
|Type||Daily sports newspaper|
|Editor||Juan Ignacio Gallardo|
|Associate editor||Santiago Se|
|Founded||21 December 1938|
|Headquarters||Avenida de San Luis, 25, 28033, Madrid, Spain|
|Sister newspapers||El Mundo|
History and profile
Marca was founded on 21 December 1938, at the height of the Spanish Civil War, in nationalist-held San Sebastián. Its first editor was Manuel Fernández Cuesta. On 3 September 1987 Luis Infante became the editor of the paper.
Punto Editorial SA was the owner of Marca. In 1984 Espacio Editorial, which would be later called Recoletos, acquired the paper. The company merged with Unedisa in 2007 to found Unidad Editorial which is the owner of Marca.
On 25 November 1942 it ceased being published as a weekly publication and has been published as a daily ever since. The daily was awarded the World's Best Designed Newspaper for 2004 by the Society for News Design (SND).
In October 2012, Marca announced launching the Spanish edition of the video games media outlet IGN, effectively replacing their own MARCA Player gaming news website. Marca also planned to launch another Spanish edition of IGN for Spanish-speakers in Latin America.
The following awards are awarded by MARCA at the end of each season:
- Pichichi - To the top goalscorer in La Liga as well as to the top goalscorer in Segunda División.
- Zarra - To the top goalscorer among Spanish nationals in La Liga as well as to the top goalscorer among Spanish nationals in Segunda División.
- Zamora - To the best goalkeeper in La Liga as well as to the best goalkeeper in Segunda División.
- Miguel Muñoz - To the best head coach in La Liga as well as to the best head coach in Segunda División.
- Guruceta - To the best referee in La Liga as well as to the best referee in Segunda División.
- Di Stefano - To the best player in La Liga Deportiva.
The below awards are awarded by MARCA at no specific time:
- Manuel Fernández-Cuesta (1938–1945)
- Ibrahim de Malcervelli (1945–1946)
- Manuel Casanova (1946–1947)
- Lucio del Álamo (1947–1954)
- Nemesio Fernández-Cuesta (1954–1973)
- Carmelo Martinez (1973–1983)
- Valentín Martín (1983–1984)
- Juan Pablo de Villanueva (1984–1986)
- Jesús Ramos (1986–1987)
- Luis Infante Bravo (1987–1997)
- Manuel Saucedo (1997–2001)
- Elías Israel (2001–2005)
- Manuel Saucedo (2005–2006)
- Alejandro Sopeña (2006–2007)
- Eduardo Inda (2007–2011)
- Óscar Campillo (2011–2016)
- Juan Ignacio Gallardo (since 2016)
In 2008, the video game magazine Marca Player was launched by Unidad Editorial, publisher of Marca. It was originally planned to run under the name Tilt. The publication was helmed by David Sanz of Spain's Official Xbox Magazine, which had recently closed. Marca Player was dedicated to multiplatform game coverage, news and reviews. Its first issue debuted with a circulation of 125,000 copies, and José Manuel González of Vandal wrote that it "had a very good start thanks to a very affordable price of 1.9 euros". However, he stated that the magazine failed to capture long-term market share, unlike sister publications such as MarcaMotor. Marca Player lasted for 46 issues; its final issue appeared in July 2012. After the closure, much of Marca Player's former staff was reorganized to launch IGN España, a collaborative venture between IGN and Unidad Editorial.
- AIMC Archived 27 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- Francisco J. Pérez‐Latre; Alfonso Sánchez-Tabernero (2003). "Leadership, an essential requirement for effecting change in media companies: An analysis of the Spanish market". International Journal on Media Management. 5 (3): 199–208. doi:10.1080/14241270309390035.
- Rosario de Mateo (1989). "The Evolution of the Newspaper Industry in Spain, 1939-87". European Journal of Communication. 4. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Enric Castelló; David Domingo (2005). "Spanish media facing new media: a challenge to journalists?". International Journal of Iberian Studies. 18 (3). Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- Laura Chaqués Bonafont; Frank R. Baumgartner (April 2013). "Newspaper attention and policy activities in Spain". Journal of Public Policy. 33 (1): 65–88. doi:10.1017/S0143814X12000219. hdl:2445/49364.
- "Daily Press" (PDF). Unidad Editorial. December 2013. Retrieved 31 January 2015.
- Adam Smith (15 November 2002). "Europe's Top Papers". campaign. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- "World's Best-Designed winners". Society for News Design. 23 February 2011. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- 70th anniversary Marca.
- Ferguson confronts Real over lack of morality and vows Ronaldo will stay; The Guardian 24 May 2008
- David Sanz (9 October 2012). "Bienvenidos a IGN España" (in Spanish). IGN Spain. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2012.
- "World Press Trends" (PDF). Paris: World Association of Newspapers. 2004. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- Pérez, Miguel (6 November 2019). "Marca y Planeta Wrestling alcanzan un acuerdo de colaboración". PLANETA WRESTLING (in Spanish). Retrieved 6 November 2019.
- "- Marca.com". Marca.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 16 July 2018.
- "Hugo Sánchez, nuevo MARCA Leyenda - MARCA Claro México". MARCA Claro México (in Spanish). Retrieved 16 July 2018.
- MARCA.com. "Real Madrid: Messi and Cristiano on the all-time podium of football - MARCA.com (English version)". MARCA. Retrieved 16 July 2018.
- González, José Manuel (28 September 2012). "Historia de las revistas de juegos en España". Vandal (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 30 April 2013.
- Martínez, David (12 July 2016). "Edge, Games TM y Marca Player". De MicroHobby a Youtube: Prensa de videojuegos en España (in Spanish). Dolmen Editorial. pp. 140–142. ISBN 978-8416436651.
- Staff (10 September 2008). "'Marca Player', la nueva revista de videojuegos de Unidad Editorial". El Publicista (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 30 October 2019.
- Staff (10 October 2012). "IGN y Unidad Editorial lanzan un gran sitio web especializado en videojuegos". El Mundo (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 20 November 2015.
- Carlos Toro (2008). La Historia de Marca [The History of Marca] (in Spanish). Madrid. p. 424. ISBN 978-84-9734-723-5.