Manuela Vali Hoelterhoff is a German-born American cultural journalist, who was the executive editor of Muse, the arts and culture section of Bloomberg News until 2015.
Personal life and education
She immigrated to the United States with her parents in 1957. Hoelterhoff holds a bachelor's degree from Hofstra University, and a Master's Degree from the Institute of Fine Arts of New York University.
Hoelterhoff is a commentator and editor whose topics have ranged widely over the contemporary world to include opera and theater, art and architecture, literature and travel, and how animals affect our lives. Her first articles appeared in William F. Buckley's National Review. There followed a twenty-year stint at The Wall Street Journal, where she wrote reviews and served as arts editor, books editor and member of the editorial board. In this period, she was also a founding editor of SmartMoney magazine, and worked with Harold Evans on creating Conde Nast Traveler.
Hoelterhoff won the annual Pulitzer Prize for Criticism for her 1982 work with The Wall Street Journal, citing "her wide-ranging criticism on the arts and other subjects".
In 1998, Alfred A. Knopf published her Cinderella & Company: Backstage at the Opera with Cecilia Bartoli, which was widely reviewed. It was translated into French, German and Dutch and it received positive reviews.
In 2000 she was named a Guggenheim Fellow to research Hitler's opera obsessions.
In 2004, Hoelterhoff was hired by Matt Winkler to create a cultural section for Bloomberg News, the company's financial news service. Muse publishes daily on all the arts – from the visual and performing arts to the literary and culinary, plus movies, TV, the art market, cars, gadgets, the environment, travel, and animals.
In 2015, she decided to retire.
- "Twinkie Gotterdammerung Ends Year: Manuela Hoelterhoff". Bloomberg. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "Two senior editors retire from Bloomberg". politico. Retrieved September 5, 2015.
- "Paid Notice: Deaths HOELTERHOFF, HEINZ ALFONS MARTIN". The New York Times. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- Complete Biographical Encyclopedia of Pulitzer Prize Winners 1917-2000. Strauss Offsetdruck. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- Who's Who of Pulitzer Prize Winners. Oryx Press. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- "CLASSICAL MUSIC; Stalking a Man of Words With Music". Bloomberg. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "Cinderella and Company". Random House Inc. Retrieved April 5, 2013.
- "Criticism". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Cinderella & Company: Backstage at the Opera with Cecilia Bartoli". Amazon. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "CINDERELLA AND COMPANY by Manuela Hoelterhoff". Kirkus Reviews. August 1, 1998. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "Cinderella and Company". Random House. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "Cinderella & Company: Backstage at the Opera with Cecilia Bartoli". GoodReads. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "Manuela Hoelterhoff". Guggenheim Foundation. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "All Fellows". Guggenheim Foundation. Archived from the original on March 4, 2013. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- "Muse: Arts & Culture". Bloomberg. Retrieved April 5, 2013.