Manfred Schoof (born 6 April 1936) is a German jazz trumpeter.
Manfred Schoof in 1984
|Born||April 6, 1936|
|Genres||Jazz, free jazz, classical|
He is a founder of European free jazz and collaborated with Albert Mangelsdorff, Peter Brötzmann, Mal Waldron, and Irène Schweizer. He has interpreted Die Soldaten, an operatic work by the contemporary composer Bernd Alois Zimmermann.
Schoof won various jazz prizes and is involved in the German musical rights association. Since 2007 he has been chairman of the Union Deutscher Jazzmusiker. He has been a professor in Cologne since 1990.
- Voices (1966)
- Manfred Schoof Sextett (1967)
- European Echoes (1969)
- Scales (1976)
- Light Lines (1977)
- Horizons (1979)
- Manfred Schoof Orchester + Albert Mangelsdorff, Wolfgang Dauner, Eberhard Weber (Amiga, 1984)
- Resonance (2009)
With Graham Collier
- Hoarded Dreams (Cuneiform, 1983 )
- Change of Scenes (Verve, 1971)
With George Gruntz
- First Prize (Enja, 1989)
With George Russell
- Jazz Meets India (SABA, 1967)
With Mal Waldron