Manchester Roller Derby
The logo of Manchester Roller Derby
|Teams||CheckerBroads (women's A team)|
Furies (women's B team)
New Wheeled Order (men's A team)
Chaos Engine (men's B team)
In November 2012, MRD hosted a bout as part of the New York Shock Exchange's 'Shock the UK' tour, which saw New Wheeled Order bout against the New York team. This was the first intercontinental men's flat track derby bout.
The league formed a co-ed team known as the MRD Allstars to participate in the UK's first co-ed roller derby tournament in January 2013. MRD Allstars won this tournament against competition from Birmingham, Nottingham and Sheffield.
MRD consists of two women's teams and two men's teams, which compete against teams from other leagues. The women's teams are CheckerBroads (A) and Furies (B), and the men's teams are New Wheeled Order (A) and Chaos Engine (B).
In December 2012, MRD was accepted as one of the first three non-American members of the Men's Roller Derby Association. The league became a member of the United Kingdom Roller Derby Association in November 2013. MRD league members have expressed interest in being affiliated with the Women's Flat Track Derby Association, but the league does not currently meet the WFTDA membership requirements due to it being a co-ed league consisting of both women and men.
- Amy Glendinning, "Roll with it... after all roller derby is a wonderbrawl", Manchester Evening News, 3 February 2011
- Chris Long, "Roller derby makes a play for Manchester sport fans", BBC News, 16 June 2011
- Jonathan R, "The New York Shock Exchange is Going to Europe!", New York Shock Exchange, 22 July 2012
- "NRG presents the UK’s first Co-Ed Tournament", Nottingham Roller Derby, 14 January 2013
- "MRDA Goes International With Its Six New Members", MRDA, 24 December 2012
- "Welcome to Manchester Roller Derby", UKRDA, 1 November 2013
- "How to Join WFTDA", WFTDA
| British Roller Derby Championships Men's Tier 2 Champions