Manamadurai is a Town in Manamadurai Division of Sivaganga district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. Manamadurai is the headquarter of Manamadurai taluk. Manamadurai falls under Manamadurai Legislative assembly. This Town is famous for ancient Sri Veera Azhagar temple or Sri Sundararaja Perumal Koil. The legends around this temple and the place trace back to the epic era of Ramayana, and the place has been referred to as Vanara Veera Madura Puri in ancient times.
Location in Tamil Nadu, India
|Coordinates: 9.7°N 78.48°E|
|• Body||Manamadurai Town|
|• Total||4.5 km2 (1.7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||121 m (397 ft)|
|• Rank||3 in district|
|• Density||12,000/km2 (30,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
630 606 (Manamadurai Head post office)
|Manamadurai Town Area code||04574|
|Vehicle registration||TN 63 (Manamadurai UO)|
Manamadurai is located at 9.7°N 78.48°E. It has an average elevation of 121 metres. The Vaigai river flows from north to south through Manamadurai and divides the town into Eastern bank and Western bank. The Town cover an area of revenue villages Keelamelkudi,vethiyanenthal, Kalkurichi, Udaikulam, Thayapuram, Sipcot, Seikalathur, Othakadai, Moongilurani,Kannar street,Alagar kovil street,Brinthavanam,Railway colony, Krishnarajapuram colony, Ramnagar, Mangulam, seiyaalur, Kombukaranenthal, Pattatharechi, Pattar street, Valanaadu, Kalpiravu, Panikaranenthal, Athanoor, Keelapasalai, Melapasalai, New vasantha nagar,rajakambeeram, Keppanoor, sangamangalam, Annavasal, comes under Limit of the Town. .
As of 2011 India census, Manamadurai had a population of 72,500. Males constitute 50% of the population and Females 50%. Manamadurai has an average literacy rate of 77% : Male literacy is 82%, and Female literacy is 72%. In Manamadurai, 10% of the population is under six years of age. The town has 20,406 households
Railway line between Manamadurai and Rameswaram became country's first green train corridor. This town is famous for manufacturing Ghatam musical instrument, Clay Pots, Clay Horse and Other clay itrac,vaigai river flows from north to south only in manamadurai
- The 'Chithirai Thiruvizha' festival is celebrated every year in the Tamil month Chithirai for 13 days.
- The annual urus (Santhanakoodu) festival marking the martyrdom day of the Panch shuhadas is commemorated on the 17th of the Islamic month of Jamadil Awwal every Hijri year.
The State Industries Promotion Corporation of Tamil Nadu (SIPCOT) Limited is situated in Sivagangai road, which is major employment source for people in and around Manamadurai. Manamadurai was famous for production of jasmine flowers. This industry has dwindled over time due to the destruction of gardens throughout the town. Bricks, Brick tiles and Pot making centres are major industries in Manamadurai.
Videocon manufacturing unit
SIPCOT has allocated 70 acres (280,000 m2) of land to India's No. 3 electronic goods seller Videocon near Manamadurai to set up its manufacturing unit for refrigerators, washing machines and television sets. Company had plans to introduce a battery assembly line at this facility. This industry is first of its kind in the volume of Rs.2,000 crore in south Tamil Nadu and comes as a boon to the skilled unemployed youth in South Tamil Nadu.
The Manamadurai Bus terminus is situated at Western bank of the town close to Manamadurai - Rameswaram Highway. It is well connected to major cities like Madurai, Trichy, Chennai and Rameswaram.
The Manamadurai Junction railway station is situated in Southern part of the village at the Western Bank. It is a major stopping for all the trains running between Rameshwaram - Madurai, Rameswaram - Chennai and Virudhunagar - Karaikudi.
Government offices & Police station list
- Manamadurai Head post office, since 1972, a majestic departmental building in front of Gandhi statue in the eastern bank
- Manamadurai Taluk Office, Thayapuram
- Manamadurai Union Office, Udaikulam
- Town municipality Office,opp.to weekly Market
- Manamadurai Town Police Station, kannar Street
- Manamadurai Town Women Police Station, Annamalai nagar
- Manamadurai Town Traffic Police Station, Sipcot
- Manamadurai Sipcot Police Station, Sipcot
- Deputy superintendent office, Manamadurai DSP office,Opp to bus stand.
- Apollo computer education ltd
- CSC Computer education ltd, near Ananthavalli Amman Kovil St.
- Sunsoft computers
- Baba Matriculation School, 1A, Mettu St.
- Baba Nursery & Primary school, 183-B, Adhanoor Road
- CSI High School for the deaf & dumb, near Gandhi silai
- CSI High School, near Travellers Banglow
- Govt. Elementary school, Burma colony
- Good Will Matriculation School, Bye Pass Road
- Good will hr sec school,melapasalai,manamadura
- Govt. Girls Higher Secondary School, near Travellers Banglow, Anbu Nagar
- Kannar Theru Elementary School, Alagar kovil Theru
- Muthu Ameena Muslim (M.A.M) Nursery & Primary School, 113/7, Kannar Street
- O.V.C Elementary School
- O.V.C Higher Secondary School, near Old Bus stand
- R.C. St. Cesilia's middle school
- R.C High School
- Ralay Nursery school, Moongiloorani
- St. Mary's higher secondary school, Rajagambiram
- St. Joseph matriculation school, Appan Perumal Kovil St., West Bank
- st.joseph hr sec school,vaanpuram,manamadurai
- Seventh Day Adventist Nursery & Primary School, Rajam Nagar, Pappamadai, Muthanendal
- Seventh Day Adventist Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Sipcot
- Suriya Narayana Shastri Primary School, near Pal Pannai, East Bank - Not functioning now
Tourism industry is one of the major revenue generators for Manamadurai. There are various places of interest.
Sri Veera Azhagar temple, Manamadurai
Sri Veera Azhagar temple or Sri Sundararaja Perumal Koil or simply the Alagar kovil or Perumal kovil, is located on the east bank of the Vaigai River in the heart of Manamadurai [Do not confuse this temple with another Alagar kovil temple, located north of Madurai town, which is a Divyadesam. The legends around this temple and the place trace back to the epic era of Ramayana. Lord Rama and the Vanara Sainya took this route to reach Sri Lanka.
Anandavalli - Somanadhar Temple
Arulmigu Somanathar temple is an ancient Shiva temple consorted with Devi Anandavalli, which also houses the Maha Samadhi of the great saint Sadasiva Brahmendra. The temple is located on the west bank of the Vaigai river
Thirukalayanam festival is celebrated every year in this temple. Festival resembles the celebration done in Madurai Meenakshi amman temple. But Thirukalyanam will take place at early morning in Madurai and late evening in Manamadurai.
Alagar Aatril Irangudhal festival is also yearly event will take place after few days from Thirukalyanam.
Prithyangira Devi Temple
Panchabhutheswaram, known as Vedhiyanendal vilakku, 5 km from Manamadurai is on old ramanathapuram road, the route in which Lord Rama went to Sri Lanka to confront Ravanan. This place is known for its hard cut-rock(granite) temple dedicated to Shri Maha Panchamukha Prathyangira Devi. It houses the big deity of shri Maha Panchamukha Prathyangira Devi. There are two more sannidhies for Lakshmi Ganapathi and Sornagarshna Bhairavar. Kumbhabhishekham was performed on 24 June 2010. Sahasra Sandi Maha Yagnam was also performed during 25 June 2010 to 29 June 2010. It has come in a total area of about 5.5 acres (22,000 m2). Soon within the temple premises, ten more sannidhies are going to come for Dasamaha Vidya. Non-stop annadharmam right from 2000 since inception. Every Amavasai, people were various parts of Tamil Nadu and other states visit the temple
The Holy Paanch peer (Anjanamar) Five Shuhadaas Dargah
The Holy Paanch peer (Anjanamar) Five Shuhadaas Dargah is located near Kannar street, Manamadurai in Sivaganga District. The Panchpeer durgah is at Kannar road, on the Manamadurai-Ilayangudi State Highway. The Graves of Five Martyrs who came with Badusha Sulthan Syed Ibrahim Shaheed of Ervadi is found here.
Idaikattur is 16 km ahead of Manamadurai town. The site is famous for Thiru Iruthaya Andavar Church, which is believed to be built by angels of god.
This unique church of the sacred heart of Jesus was built in 1894 AD by a French missionary Fr. Ferdinand Celle SJ. This is a replica of the Rheims Cathedral in France. Since the church was said to be built by angels, Fr. Ferdinand Celle SJ has placed 153 depictions of angels in and around the church. He has depicted the relics of forty saints in four elliptical shaped wooden bowls, which rest over the wooden heart in the main altar portion.
Thayamangalam Muthumariamman Temple
Thayamangalam is situated near Manamadurai, and known for the yearly Panguni festival.
Saint Thirugnanasambandhar was invited to Madurai by Queen Pandimadevi Mangayarkarasi for the prosperity of Saivam religion. Saint Appar said that as the day of Sambandar's visit falls on star of Bharani and it is auspicious for travelling. Bharani is also the best time for Conducting homam and setting up brick kiln etc. as this day is suitable for Agni (fire). He started his travel after worshiping God and Goddess by singing Kolaru Padhipaggam. He fought for the freedom of Saivam against the Jainism. Based on the belief in the concept that "each day is a good day", he did Navasakthi Homam and Vinayaka Pooja on the 15th day of Panguni and celebrated 10 days festival from the 16th day of Panguni at Thayamangalam. Pongal festival is being celebrated on the 7th day ( 22nd day of Panguni), Milk pot festival and Flower Pallakku on the Panguni 23rd day. The festival will be completed on 25th day of Panguni after celebrating Devasthana Theertha vari function
- Manamadurai Division
- Manamadurai Taluk
- Manamadurai Assembly
- Manamadurai union
- Manamadurai Railway Junction
- "Elevation of manamadurai - veloroutes.org". Veloroutes.org. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Commissionerate of Municipal Administration". Commissionerate of Municipal Administration. 2006. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "PCA Data by District/SubDistrict/Town/Village Name". Census Commission of India. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2009. Retrieved 5 September 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Country's first green train corridor opened between Rameswaram and Manamadurai ,asia's second turning railway track is located in manamadurai- Times of India". Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- "Assembling Make in India's mobile dream". Thehindubusinessline.com. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- Sivakumar, Hemamalini Venkatraman & Nandini (22 December 2009). "Sipcot allots 70 acres to Videocon for Rs 2k cr plant in TN". The Economic Times. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- Amirtha Nursing College Archived 17 February 2013 at Archive.today
- "Matha College of Teacher Education". Archived from the original on 29 May 2012. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 25 July 2015. Retrieved 9 June 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Archived 17 August 2010 at the Wayback Machine