In organisational development, management effectiveness is recognized as a determinant of organisational success. Therefore, investment in management development can have a direct economic benefit to the organisation. In 2004, the money spent per year per manager on management and leadership development was £1,035, an average of 6.3 days per manager.
Approaches to management development
Many management qualifications now have an action learning element. Action learning asserts that individuals learn best from hands-on experience.
Coaching is a teaching, training or development process in which an individual is supported while achieving a specific personal or professional result or goal. Coaching is an effective learning tool that affects the bottom line and productivity, as well as intangible benefits. It aids in the improvement of individual performance, tackles underperformance, and aids in the identification of personal learning needs.
One of the biggest growth areas in UK education since the early 1980s has been the growth of university-level management education. In addition to weekly part-time attendance at college/university, many students employ distance learning. The number of UK business schools grew from two in the early 1970s, to over one hundred providers.
Management development programme
Management development programmes are conducted by big corporates and management institutes in order to enable current and prospective managers to develop an understanding of management concepts, practices, approaches and perspectives. The participants gain an immersive learning experience and are encouraged to provide insights on situational problems and are exposed to the views of other participants of their group. Through this process, they gain problem solving skills and analytical thinking ability.
- Cannell.M. Management Development factsheet. London. CIPD (November 2004 - rev 2008)
- Chartered Management Institute
- Dierendonck, Dirk Van; Haynes, Clare; Borrill, Carol; Stride, Chris (2007). "Effects of upward feedback on leadership behaviour toward subordinates" (PDF). Journal of Management Development. 26 (3): 228–238. doi:10.1108/02621710710732137.
- "Management Development Program (MDP)". www.gse.harvard.edu. Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- "IIM Ahmedabad: 11 new Management Development Programmes". indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved February 23, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Management.|