Mahrez Mebarek (Arabic: محرز مبارك; born February 11, 1985) is an Algerian former swimmer, who specialized in freestyle events. He is a multiple-time Algerian record holder in long-distance freestyle (400, 800, and 1500 m).
|Full name||Mahrez Mebarek|
|Born||11 February 1985|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||90 kg (198 lb)|
Mebarek made his official debut at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, where he qualified for two swimming events. In the 400 m freestyle, he challenged seven other swimmers on the third heat, where South Korea's Park Tae-Hwan was disqualified for a false start. Mebarek edged out Slovenia's Bojan Zdešar to take a fourth spot and dip under a 4-minute barrier by 0.90 of a second in 3:59.10. In his second event, 200 m freestyle, Mebarek shared a thirty-fifth place tie with Macedonia's Aleksandar Malenko in the preliminaries with a time of 1:53.00.
At the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, Mebarek qualified for the second time in the men's 200 m freestyle by eclipsing a FINA B-standard entry time of 1:52.03 from the EDF Swimming Open in Paris, France. He challenged six other swimmers on the second heat, including four-time Olympian Andrei Zaharov of Moldova. He edged out Kazakhstan's Artur Dilman to take a third spot by 0.24 of a second, posting his lifetime best of 1:52.66. Mebarek failed to advance into the semifinals, as he placed fifty-first overall in the preliminaries.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "Mahrez Mebarek". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- Thomas, Stephen (14 August 2004). "Men's 400 Freestyle Prelims: Hackett Edges Thorpe, Qualifies First for Final; Jensen and Keller Easily Through". Swimming World Magazine. Archived from the original on 11 April 2013. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Men's 400m Freestyle Heat 3". Athens 2004. BBC Sport. 14 August 2004. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Men's 200m Freestyle Heat 4". Athens 2004. BBC Sport. 15 August 2004. Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- Thomas, Stephen (15 August 2004). "Men's 200 Freestyle Prelims: Thorpe Fastest in 1:47.22; Hoogie, Keller, Phelps and Hackett All in the Mix". Swimming World Magazine. Archived from the original on 28 December 2013. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Olympic Cut Sheet – Men's 200m Freestyle" (PDF). Swimming World Magazine. p. 15. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Mahrez Mebarek qualifié aux JO de Pékin" [Mahrez Mebarek qualified for Beijing Olympics] (in French). La Dépêche de Kabylie. 25 June 2008. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Men's 200m Freestyle Heat 3". Beijing 2008. NBC Olympics. Archived from the original on 21 August 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2012.