As a youngster she joined the Fulham branch of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann. Later she became an events organiser. She was a member of John Renbourn's group Ship of Fools (1988), which released one album on the Run River label, owned and operated by her then husband and fellow group member Steve Tilston.
Christopher Bruce's ballet Sergeant Early's Dream was made in 1984. Six musicians performed English, Irish and American folk songs at the back of the stage, while a dancer interpreted them at the front. The 1994 CD version featured the group Incantation plus the Sergeant Early Band, including Maggie Boyle and Steve Tilston.
She also performed most of the music used in the movie Patriot Games, based on Tom Clancy's novel of the same name. She is mother to Joe Tilston, guitarist of the band Random Hand. Much of the Boyle family continue to make music today, including Ms Boyle's brother Kevin, who released his second CD since Bon Cabbage, to which Maggie contributed, in the summer of 2009. Kevin Boyle also continues to tour and record with his band, Le Cheile.
In 2012, Boyle began a website-based travelogue-style project to capture performances and collaborations with various folk songwriters she admired. Entitled Kitchen Songs, it includes performances and duets with Ralph McTell, Jez Lowe, Pete Coe and Steve Tilston – all recorded in their respective kitchens when she visited their homes. Also in 2012, Boyle released a solo album, Won't You Come Away, on Wild Goose Records with Paul Downes on guitar, mandocello and mandolin and Jon Boden on fiddle.
- Reaching Out (1987)
- Gweebarra (1998)
- Won't You Come Away (2012)
Duck Baker, Maggie Boyle and Ben Paley
- The Expatriate Game (2005)
Grace Notes (including Maggie Boyle)
- Down Falls the Day (1993)
- Red Wine and Promises (1998)
- Anchored to the Time (2001)
- Northern Tide (2008)
- 20 (2012)
John Renbourn's Ship of Fools (including Maggie Boyle)
- Ship of Fools (1988)
Sergeant Early Band (with Maggie Boyle) and Incantation
- Sergeant Early's Dream/Ghost Dances (1994)
Sketch (with Maggie Boyle, Gary Boyle and Dave Bowie)
- Sketch (2008)
- Patriot Games (1992)
- Legends of the Fall (1994)
Steve Tilston & Maggie Boyle
- of Moor and Mesa (1992)
- All Under the Sun (1996)
Steve Tilston albums featuring Maggie Boyle on some tracks
- Silently the Snow Falls (1988)
- Swans at Coole (1990)
- And So It Goes (1996)
- Reaching Back: The Life And Music Of Steve Tilston (5 CD Compilation) (2007)
- Soldiers Three (with Peter Bellamy) (1990)
- When The Circus Comes To Town (with Bert Jansch) (1995)
- A Day's Work (with Mick Ryan) (1996)
- Between Our Hearts (with John McCormick) (1998)
- A Festival Of Folk (Various Artists)
- A Distance From The Town (with Gordon Tyrrall) (1998)
- Michael Is Leaving Las Vegas (with John Drury) (1998)
- Trawlertown: The Singing Of The Fishing (with John Conolly & Pete Sumner) (1998)
- Wake The Vaulted Echoes: A Celebration of Peter Bellamy (with Peter Bellamy) (1999) [3-CD set]
- At Long Last (with Mike Deavin)
- The Surprise (with Pauline Cato & Tom McConville) (1999)
- Bon Cabbage (with The Movies CB) (1999) [CB = Céilí Band]
- The Furrowed Field (with Damien Barber) (2000)
- Black Swan (with Bert Jansch) (2006)
- The Pauper's Path To Hope (with Mick Ryan) (2011) [2-CD set]
- Derek Schofield (10 November 2014). "Maggie Boyle obituary". the Guardian. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- "Incantation". Incamusic.narod.ru. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Kev Boyle". kevboyle.com. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Welcome to Maggie Boyle's Kitchen Songs Project – traditional singing and contemporary songwriters". Kitchensongs.org.uk. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Welcome to WildGoose Records". Wildgoose.co.uk. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "Obit: Maggie Boyle R.I.P." mudcat.org. Retrieved 7 November 2014.