|Role||Torpedo-bomber flying boat|
The M.C.99 was designed by Mario Castoldi as a military flying boat, resembling the earlier commercial M.C.94 and was a wooden twin-engined shoulder-wing cantilever monoplane. Constructed mainly of wood, it was a high-wing cantilever monoplane flying boat. With a crew of five, it had an enclosed cabin and had defensive gun positions in the bow, amidships and in the tail. The prototype and only M.C.99 was powered by two 890 kilowatts (1,190 hp) Isotta-Fraschini Asso XI R.2C.15 engines, strut-mounted above the wings. Briefly flown in 1937 it did not enter production.
- Crew: five
- Wingspan: 25.34 m (83 ft 2 in)
- Max takeoff weight: 11,600 kg (25,574 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 × Isotta Fraschini Asso XI R.2C.15 water-cooled, supercharged V12 piston engine, 660 kW (890 hp) each
- Maximum speed: 282 km/h (175 mph, 152 kn)
- Range: 3,000 km (1,900 mi, 1,600 nmi)
- Guns: 4 x light machine-guns
- Bombs: either 1500kg of bombs or two torpedoes.
- Orbis 1985, p. 2398
- *The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985). Orbis Publishing. 1985.