|Role||Passenger flying boat|
|Primary user||Ala Littoria|
Design and development
The M.C.100 was a shoulder-wing cantilever monoplane flying boat, with a family resemblance to the military twin-engine M.C.99 and earlier M.C.94. It was powered by three Alfa Romeo 126 RC 10 radial engines strut-mounted above the wing, each driving a three-bladed tractor propeller. The pilot and co-pilot sat side by side in a raised and enclosed control cabin forward of the wing, while the radio operator sat in the aircraft's nose. A main cabin in the hull had accommodation for 26 passengers. The prototype first flew on 7 January 1939. The prototype was followed by two more aircraft, and all three were in service by June 1940 with Ala Littoria operating between Rome-Algiers-Barcelona. With the start of World War II, the aircraft was used for liaison and communication duties, and to maintain a daily Rome-Marsala-Tripoli service.
- Crew: three
- Capacity: 26 passengers
- Length: 17.40 m (57 ft 1 in)
- Wingspan: 24.35 m (79 ft 10¼ in)
- Wing area: 100 m2 (1,076 ft2)
- Empty weight: 8,568 kg (18,849 lb)
- Gross weight: 13,130 kg (28,880 lb)
- Powerplant: 3 × Alfa Romeo 126 RC 10 radial engine, 597 kW (800 hp) each
- Maximum speed: 310 km/h (193 mph)
- Cruising speed: 262 km/h (163 mph)
- Range: 1,400 km (869 miles)
- Service ceiling: 6,102 m (20,013 ft)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Macchi M.C.100.|
- Stroud 1989, p. 308.
- Stroud, John (May 1989). "Wings of Peace: Macchi C.94 and C.100". Aeroplane Monthly. pp. 304–308.
- Taylor, Michael J. H. (1989). Jane's Encyclopedia of Aviation. London: Studio Editions.
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985). Orbis Publishing. p. 2398.