|Role||Biplane flying boat|
|First flight||January 1916|
|Primary user||Italian Navy|
|Developed from||Macchi L.1|
In an attempt to improve the performance of the L.1 flying-boat Macchi, the design was improved with a reduced span on the swept biplane wings and a more powerful 119 kW (160 hp) Isotta Fraschini V.4B engine. The L.2 was a three-bay unequal-span biplane flying boat with a two-man crew in side-by-side cockpits. It was powered by a single Isotta Fraschini engine, strut-mounted between the two wings and driving a pusher propeller. It was armed with a single machine gun on a trainable mounting and could also carry four light bombs. Ten L.2s were delivered to the Italian Navy, but they were soon replaced by the newer L.3.
Data from The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982–1985). Orbis Publishing. p. 2392.
- Crew: two
- Gross weight: 1,450 kg (3,197 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Isotta Fraschini V.4B, 119 kW (160 hp)
- Maximum speed: 140 km/h (87 mph)
- Range: 385 km (239 miles)
- 1 × Fiat machine gun
- 4 × light bombs
Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Macchi.|
- Taylor, Michael J. H. (1989). Jane's Encyclopedia of Aviation. London: Studio Editions.
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982–1985). Orbis Publishing. p. 2392.