Location in Syria
|Coordinates: 35°44′53″N 39°36′25″E|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|City Qrya Pcode||C5787|
Syrian Civil War
Ma'adan was captured by rebel forces in the Raqqa campaign (2012–13) during the Syrian Civil War. ISIL, which had participated in the fighting against Syrian government forces in the Raqqa governate, wrested control of the region, including Ma'adan, from other rebel forces in January 2014. Three and a half years later, though the town was still under ISIL control, ISIL's position in the Syrian Civil War had deteriorated significantly such that it was in danger of losing the entire governate of Raqqa. Ma'adan became an important stronghold used by the organisation during the Central Syria campaign (2017). Syrian government forces encountered significant resistance at Ma'adan when they attempted to advance on the town in mid-August, and consequently bypassed the town in their approach to Deir ez Zor. However, on 24 August ISIL forces launched a large-scale operation west of Ma'adan alongside the western bank of the Euphrates, capturing seven villages from the Syrian Army and allied tribal fighters. Overall, government forces were pushed back 30 kilometers from the western outskirts of Ma'adan. Nearly a month later, on 23 September 2017, Ma'adan was liberated by the Syrian government's Tiger Forces during their offensive from the south east. This removed the last of ISIL's territory on the west bank of the Euphrates, north of Deir ez-Zor
- "General Census of Population 2004". Retrieved 20 October 2017.
- "Syria, anti-Assad rebel infighting leaves 700 dead, including civilians". AsiaNews. 13 January 2014. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Breaking: ISIS launches humongous offensive in south Raqqa, makes major gains". AMN - Al-Masdar News | المصدر نيوز. 24 August 2017. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "ISIS Launches Large Offensive, Recaptures 7 Villages In Southern Raqqa Countryside". SouthFront blog. 24 August 2017. Retrieved 25 August 2017.
- "IS militants push back advancing Syrian troops near Raqqa". Business Insider. Retrieved 5 December 2017.
- "IS counterattack kills 34 Syria regime forces in Raqa province - The Express Tribune". 25 August 2017. Retrieved 5 September 2017.
- "Syrian army liberates maadan". Al Masdar News. 23 September 2017. Retrieved 4 December 2017.