MV Perth is the oldest wooden boat in Western Australia. Owned by Mike Beanland she is being completely renovated as a community project by Perth Boat School. The vessel was designed and built in the early 1900s by A.E. Brown and launched in 1914.
- 1914 - Originally a steamship, S.S. Perth was launched and operated a ferry service between Barrack Street and Mends Street. Double ender, with twin steering stations, twin props, so it didn't need to turn, the helmsman just walked to the other end as both ends are identical. Originally powered by two coal fired burners operating at 120psi built by McKie and Baxter of Glasgow.
- 1950 - With the road across the Narrows Bridge becoming preferred transport across the river, the ferry became an excursion boat.
- 1907 - The coal-fired boilers were converted to diesel oil firing.
- 1970 - The steam engine was removed and went into the Maritime Museum, replaced by a Kelvin diesel, also from Glasgow.
- 1982 - Taken out of service.
- 1986 - Refurbished to be used for river transport during the 1987 America's Cup defence.
- 1998 - Rebuilt by Ozco at Swan Dock, Fremantle. Hull was Dynel sheathed (fibreglassed) and the superstructure was also glassed. The vessel was used as a party boat. White pickets were added to the outside decks to make it look like the American paddle vessels. At some stage it became known as the Riverboat Gambler, as it ran gambling nights on the Swan River.
- 2007 - Purchased by the WA Steamship Company and returned to sit on a mooring, then moved to sit in a pen at Jervoise Bay, Henderson.
- 2009 - Purchased by the current owners, Perth Boat School. Leaks repaired, water pump repaired, fuel pump on Lister replaced, electrics repaired, entire fore and stern decks completely stripped, filled, overhauled and revarnished. Community Restoration Project, sponsored by many companies and voluntary organisations.
- 2010 - Vessel is vandalised with windows smashed and tools and repair gear, pressure pump etc., all stolen.
- 2013 - 3D laser scan was done of the vessel by kind donation of Vekta, a large company that does GIS and 3D surveys etc.
- Length Overall (LOA) - 103 feet
- Beam: 6.1m
- Hull Material: Oregon / Jarrah
- Superstructure: Nyatoh
- Gross Tonnage: 320t
- Engines: 1 x 180 hp Kelvin T6 Diesel
- Propulsion: Twin Screw, one in each direction
- Max Speed: 6 knots (11 km/h)
- Generators: 1 x 50kva 3 phase Lister
- Registration No: DW575
- HIN No: AU-TWA044157BO8
- Fuel Capacity: 500 gallons diesel
- "MTT Quarterly", 1977.
- The West Australian, 2 January 1979.
- "Wheels, MTT Westrail", 1982.
- The West Australian, 28 April 1982.