Pelikan was a 3,264 ton German refrigerated cargo ship built in 1934. In 1945, during the Second World War, the United Kingdom seized her and renamed her Empire Alde. She changed names twice more: back to Pelikan in 1946, and to Pacuare in 1947. She was scrapped in 1959/60.
|Port of registry:|
|Builder:||Bremer Vulkan Schiff- und Maschinenbau, Bremen|
|Fate:||Scrapped in Troon, 1959|
|Length:||352 ft 8 in (107.49 m)|
|Beam:||44 ft 8 in (13.61 m)|
|Depth:||24 ft (7.32 m)|
|Propulsion:||2 x 5 cylinder SCDA oil engines (Bremer Vulkan) 975 hp (727 kW)|
|Speed:||15 knots (28 km/h)|
|Capacity:||129,000 cubic feet (3,700 m3) refrigerated cargo space|
Pelikan was built by Bremer Vulkan Schiff- und Maschinenbau, Bremen as yard number 712 and launched in 1934, being completed in January 1935. She was owned by the Afrikanische Frucht-Cie AG and managed by F Laeisz, Hamburg. In 1940, ownership passed to the Kriegsmarine (German navy) although Lloyds Register continued to show Pelikan as a merchant ship. In May 1945 Pelikan was seized at Brunsbüttel, and ownership passed to the Ministry of War Transport; she was renamed Empire Alde, under the management of the Southern Railway and later Kaye, Sons & Co. In 1946 Empire Alde was sold to Elders & Fyffes Ltd, regaining her original name of Pelikan before being renamed Pacuare in 1947. She served until 1959, when she was sent to Troon for scrapping, arriving on 22 September.
Official number and code letters
Official Numbers were a forerunner to IMO Numbers.
Pelikan used the Code Letters DJNP until 1945. Empire Alde, Pelican and Pacuare used the UK Official Number 181664 from 1945-59
- "1181664". Miramar Ship Index. Retrieved 21 December 2008.
- "Empire-A". Mariners-L. Retrieved 21 December 2008.
- "LISTE DES NAVIRES POURVUS DE MACHINES FRIGORIFIQUES" (PDF). Plimsoll Ship Data. Retrieved 21 December 2008.
- "NAVIRES A VAPEUR ET MOTEURS" (PDF). Plimsoll Ship Data. Retrieved 21 December 2008.
- "STEAMERS & MOTORSHIPS" (PDF). Plimsoll Ship Data. Retrieved 21 December 2008.
- "Search results for "1181664"". Miramar Ship Index. Retrieved 21 December 2008.