MV Empire Atoll
Empire Atoll was a British 693 ton refrigerated coaster which was built to the order of Coast Lines Ltd. She was requisitioned by Ministry of War Transport, being returned to Coast Lines in 1946 and renamed Hadrian Coast. She was sold to Greece in 1967 and renamed Elda. She was shipwrecked near Mehidia, Morocco on 10 January 1970.
|Port of registry:|
|Builder:||Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd, Ardrossan|
|Launched:||12 July 1941|
|Fate:||Wrecked 10 January 1970|
|Length:||201 ft 3 in (61.34 m)|
|Beam:||33 ft 2 in (10.11 m)|
|Depth:||11 ft 7 in (3.53 m)|
|Propulsion:||2 x 7 cylinder SCSA diesel engines (British Auxiliaries Ltd, Glasgow) 1,120 hp (840 kW)|
|Speed:||11 knots (20 km/h)|
|Capacity:||50,604 cubic feet (1,432.9 m3) refrigerated cargo space|
Empire Atoll was built by Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd, Ardrossan as yard number 385. She was powered by two 7 cylinder diesel engines. She was built to the order of Coast Line Ltd and was the only refrigerated coaster built in wartime in the UK. She was launched on 12 July 1941 and completed in January 1942. She was built for Coast Lines Ltd but was requisitioned by the MoWT, operating under the management of Coast Lines. Her port of registry was Liverpool.
Empire Atoll was a member of a number of convoys during the Second World War.
- FS 33
In 1946, Empire Atoll reverted to Coast Lines and was renamed Hadrian Coast. She was sold to E Davidou & others, Greece in 1967 and renamed Elda. Her port of registry was changed to Piraeus. On 10 January 1970, Elda dragged her anchors and grounded near Mehidia, Morocco after developing engine trouble and a leak on a voyage between Ravenna, Italy and Kenitra, Morocco. She was a total loss.
Official number and code letters
Official Numbers were a forerunner to IMO Numbers.
Empire Atoll had the UK Official Number 168807 and used the Code Letters BOSZ.
- "On This Day: 10th January". Clydesite. Archived from the original on 23 September 2006. Retrieved 1 February 2009.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- Mitchell, W H, and Sawyer, L A (1995). The Empire Ships. London, New York, Hamburg, Hong Kong: Lloyd's of London Press Ltd. p. 316. ISBN 1-85044-275-4.
- "1168807". Miramar Ship Index. Retrieved 1 February 2009.
- "LLOYDS REGISTER, NAVIRES A VAPEUR ET A MOTEURS" (PDF). Plimsoll Ship Data. Retrieved 23 January 2008.
- "CONVOY FS 33". Warsailors. Retrieved 1 February 2009.