MV Empire Albany
|Port of registry:||
|Builder:||Richards Ironworks Ltd, Lowestoft|
|Launched:||3 October 1944|
|Fate:||Sank 20 November 1946|
|Tons burthen:||306 GRT|
|Length:||132 ft 5 in (40.36 m)|
|Beam:||24 ft 6 in (7.47 m)|
|Depth:||7 ft 9 in (2.36 m)|
|Propulsion:||2 x SCSA diesel engines (Crossley, Manchester) 110 hp (82 kW)|
Empire Albany was built by Richards Ironworks Ltd, Lowestoft as yard number 337. She was launched on 3 October 1944 and completed in December 1944. Empire Airman was owned by the Ministry of War Transport and operated under the management of the J Fisher & Sons Ltd.
In 1946, Empire Albany was sold to Mrs P Dowds, Ireland and renamed Albany. On 20 November 1946, Albany departed Port Talbot bound for Rosslare, but did not arrive. Albany was carrying a cargo of coal. Two ship's boats and the name board from Albany were washed up near St David's Head on 22 November.
Official number and code letters
Official numbers were a forerunner to IMO Numbers.
- "1166695". Miramar Ship Index. Retrieved 20 December 2008.
- "NAVIRES A VAPEUR ET A MOTEURS" (PDF). Plimsoll Ship Data. Retrieved 21 December 2008.
- "Empire-A". Mariners-L. Retrieved 21 December 2008.
- Mitchell, W H; Sawyer, L A (1995). The Empire Ships. London, New York, Hamburg, Hong Kong: Lloyd's of London Press Ltd. p. 234. ISBN 1-85044-275-4.